Powering A Grinding Spindle With A DC Motor.

Don B

Active User
Registered
Is it practical to powering a Grinding Spindle with a DC motor, first off I know virtually nothing about electronics, this motor came from my CNC mill, it is a 92GN-BLM-300HA-300H-SMT DC motor, would this be possible/practical to make use of it to drive a grinding spindle.
I really have know Idea where to start or if this would cost more to make use of this motor than just buying a new motor..?:thinking:

IMG_00001138.jpg

Sorry I was unable to get a clear picture of the tag but I can write out the info if this is worth pursuing.

IMG_00001138.jpg

I used a DC treadmill motor on this tool grinder. A variable transformer controls the voltage, allowing me to set the spindle speed to 3600 for allumium oxide wheels or 5000 for diamond ones.

IMG_0413.jpg

Sorry, no photos of tyne belt drive.
Greg

IMG_0413.jpg

I used a DC treadmill motor on this tool grinder. A variable transformer controls the voltage, allowing me to set the spindle speed to 3600 for allumium oxide wheels or 5000 for diamond ones.
Greg

Ok thank you very much, it proves it's practical and that was one thing I was hoping for was the variable speed option, the problem I have now that I can see is this motor has 9 wires, I understand 2 wires and what happens when the polarity is switched... But..?
Could some one point to some reading material to figure out how to wire this, and does anyone maybe know how I can safely test this so me and the motor both live through it..?
As I said this came from my CNC and from what I could gleam it may have been the control board thingy that went, but I'm not sure.

Than you.
Don

Ok thank you very much, it proves it's practical and that was one thing I was hoping for was the variable speed option, the problem I have now that I can see is this motor has 9 wires, I understand 2 wires and what happens when the polarity is switched... But..?
Could some one point to some reading material to figure out how to wire this, and does anyone maybe know how I can safely test this so me and the motor both live through it..?
As I said this came from my CNC and from what I could gleam it may have been the control board thingy that went, but I'm not sure.

Than you.
Don

Don the short answer is: yes it will work. The problem is that it is a 3 phase motor. BLDC = BrushLess Direct Current. It needs to be powered by a BLDC controller. This is actually a servo motor. Once powered properly, you would have really precise speed control over your grinding wheel.

From the web site: ''The whole system include brushless DC Motor (92BLM-GM-300HA,123BLM-IN-300HA) and brushless DC motor driver(BLMC-1100-300H, BLMC-2200-300HA), Function Board(SMT-1100), SMT-LCD''

http://www.everychina.com/products/...gn_blm_300ha_smt-29285921-zaf6667-detail.html

Don the short answer is: yes it will work. The problem is that it is a 3 phase motor. BLDC = BrushLess Direct Current. It needs to be powered by a BLDC controller. This is actually a servo motor. Once powered properly, you would have really precise speed control over your grinding wheel.

Thank you Jim, so am I right in assuming there's now way for me to test this motor unless I purchase a "BLDC controller"
I'm probably really going to show my electronics ignorance with this question, but is there any type of re-wiring fix that could be done to the motor to make use of a simpler seed controller?

Thank you Jim, so am I right in assuming there's now way for me to test this motor unless I purchase a "BLDC controller"
I'm probably really going to show my electronics ignorance with this question, but is there any type of re-wiring fix that could be done to the motor to make use of a simpler seed controller?

I'm pretty sure you could run that motor with a VFD. I did a bit of research on the web sites and it looks like it is a 220V motor. You should be able to confirm this from the data tag on the motor. It should also have the power rating there. I am a bit confused by the way the data is presented in the web site. I can't tell what the power rating is from the part number, strange.

If you can get a picture of the data tag, or provide that information, I might be able to figure out what the proper VFD specs are.

I'm pretty sure you could run that motor with a VFD. I did a bit of research on the web sites and it looks like it is a 220V motor. You should be able to confirm this from the data tag on the motor. It should also have the power rating there. I am a bit confused by the way the data is presented in the web site. I can't tell what the power rating is from the part number, strange.

If you can get a picture of the data tag, or provide that information, I might be able to figure out what the proper VFD specs are.

Jim, Thank you for taking the time to help, I'm not sure why I can't get a clear picture.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Line 1 --> Specifications -> DC300V - 1100W - 6000RPM - 4.5A - 1.8N.m

Line 2 --> Power Line -> Red (U) - Blue (V) - Black (W) - Yellow/green (GRD)

Line 3 --> Hall Line -> Red (+5V) - Black (GRD) - Yellow (SA) - Blue (SB) - Green (SC)

Line 4 --> Ip54 & Insulation Class F - Three Phase and 4 poles

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this OK, all Greek to me...?:thinking:

Jim, Thank you for taking the time to help, I'm not sure why I can't get a clear picture.

Line 1 --> Specifications -> DC300V - 1100W - 6000RPM - 4.5A - 1.8N.m

Line 2 --> Power Line -> Red (U) - Blue (V) - Black (W) - Yellow/green (GRD)

Line 3 --> Hall Line -> Red (+5V) - Black (GRD) - Yellow (SA) - Blue (SB) - Green (SC)

Line 4 --> Ip54 & Insulation Class F - Three Phase and 4 poles

Is this OK, all Greek to me...?:thinking:

Line 1 is the most important for this discussion.

DC300V is the max operating Voltage

1100W is the power rating, approximately 1.5 HP

4.5A is the rated input current

1.8Nm is the rated torque, I think

So with this information the specifications for a VFD to run this motor:

Power rating = 1.5HP or 1.1KW, probably 2HP rating is what you would want.

Assuming you only have single phase power available, you would want a VFD that will accept a single phase, 200V to 240V input. this is pretty common.

There are a lot of VFDs available on ebay at reasonable prices.

I'm not going to provide free advertising, so I won't post the links. If you decide to move ahead with this, I'll be happy to confirm the specifications.

Hi Don,

While I am not real "Hi-Speed" on motors, I don't think a VFD will work with your motor. The "Hall" wires are for a sensor which is used by the controller to determine the motor speed. They would not be used on a conventional VFD.

Many have had good luck replacing their stock DC controllers on their small mills with ones from KB Electronics. They are reasonably priced and their website has some good info:

http://www.kbelectronics.com/Variable_Speed_DC_Drives.html

Bob

Back