Pratt & Whitney 3 c mill

cross thread

Registered
Registered
I'll be picking one up over the week end . I know little about these machines and I find little on the web . I have been to Lathes UK , they talk more about the motor and trans . I'm buying this machine sight un seen except for pictures and talking to the owner , owner bought the mill and never got power to it . The machine is this one http://www.lathes.co.uk/prattwhitneymiller/page4.html
It does not have the vertical head or a vise , so I'll be looking for that stuff . It only has a horizontal arbor and the support arm . It's sitting on a home made angle iron bench and has the Speedranger unit and hand wheel .
Any owners out there ? Support group ? Spares ?
Thanks , Mark .

I sure would want one! Especially with all the wonderful little bits of tooling! A friend has one. Anything made by P&W is so sweet, only thing that I have is the 6" vertical shaper, thankful for that!

Nice, looks just a little bigger than my Hardinge BB4

No vertical head or overarm for mine though.

Looking forward to pics.

John

I have a 3C, set up as a production hand miller. No vertical head or arbor but I do have a full set of collets and a dividing head.

Hi John , that Hardinge is cool . I remember when it was for sale in that bike shop , I was temped to drive up there and buy it . Glad it went to a better home . My work space is very small about 5'X8' plus I have a Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe and a Atlas floor drill press in there . I do have a work bench , I'm thinking the P&W can sit on it I hope .
Hi Dan , what are the collets ? I have a feeling not 3c . Dividing head is cool . I would like to get one some day , first I would like to get the P&W vise and vert . head . I see there is a P&W vise on the bay but the guy wants what I'm paying for my mill .
Thanks , Mark .

The 3C takes a P&W 4PN collet and they rarely come up for sale. I was lucky to find a full set but paid up for them. That vise on eBay has been there for a couple years I think. Good luck finding a head.

Looks like a very cool machine. I’ve a A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(I pressed reply too early!)

I’ve an Astra L4 milling machine, so slightly bigger than yours but not by much. I always enjoy seeing what people make with the smaller machines, so please post plenty of project pics!

(I pressed reply too early!)

I’ve an Astra L4 milling machine, so slightly bigger than yours but not by much. I always enjoy seeing what people make with the smaller machines, so please post plenty of project pics!

That Astra sounds cool I will check lathes UK . It might be awhile before I can show projects Ben but thanks for the thought . The machine I will be picking up tomorrow uses a very large motor and trans , unfortunately I won't be able to use that . I'm not sure but I think I will make a treadmill motor set up .
Mark .

OK , got it home and cleaned up . Seems the machine never sat outside , that was a plus . As you can see I got a spindle arbor , with that I can get some collets made . Also it came with the clamps for a vertical head , I read if you can get a vertical head chances are it won't have the clamps . And I got a right angle table . Who knows what set up that would be used on ? Better pictures to come .
Mark .

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0908.JPG