Precision ground flat stones

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I bit the bullet and bought precision ground flat stones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3046433233...ar=603676401197&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The last couple grinds on my magnet chuck were out 0.0002". Not enough to stress about, but obviously wiping off the chuck with a rag and a bare hand were not enough to get really clean. My chuck doesn't completely release and it can be hard to drag the vise or part off the soft chuck. It was just enough to cause some trouble.

Stoning the table brings it right back to true

I hand lapped a couple stones on sandpaper that do okay but I don't think they are very flat. They do knock burrs off without scratching up the surface. It's really easy to tell when it works.

I decided to give them a try. Any feedback on these specific stones?

At work we use any stone at hand to stone the mag chucks.
taking the burrs off is what we do.
We grind the chuck if any work is done on the grinder, like when I did spindle bearings on one.

I've always wondered how long the precision grind would last. Stones do wear even with careful use. Regardless, I'm not up to the level of work that would justify anything better than facing stones off against sandpaper on a flat plate, and two stones against each other.

I have them. They do work. Used them to clean up dings on my lathe compound surface and my mill table, along with various other things. They take off burs without scratching the main surface. They work slow, but they really do work. Can't answer if they are better than normal stones, haven't tried the normal ones for the same thing. I don't think I was ripped off - they do work as advertised.

I've always wondered how long the precision grind would last. Stones do wear even with careful use. Regardless, I'm not up to the level of work that would justify anything better than facing stones off against sandpaper on a flat plate, and two stones against each other.
The edges do most of the cutting. I think they should be fine for a long time.

I’ve had these same stones now for going on two years. For me they were a game changer as I had some new unground version that were brand new and touched up on diamond laps and they were nowhere as good as the tool room stones. I use them sparingly for only dressing precision surfaces and am sure to clean them on each other frequently. Mine were worth every penny for what I do.

Be sure to stone the entire magnet. not just the area that you are going to place your work piece. This will prevent stoning a hollow spot into the surface of the magnet. Also helps to change where you place your workpiece on the magnet for the same reason.

In the shop that I served my apprenticeship at back more years than I care to mention, we hade I guy that claimed to be a Jig Grinder that wrecked the table on the jig grinder in 6 months by stoning it wrong. Took the factory tech 3 days to get it corrected after they fired the guy!

Richard

Robin Renzetti has a nice video about making and using them.

@OTmachine Are those ground?
Titans of CNC is selling round ground stones also.

Back