Precision Mathews PM1340GT Review

. I have used TopCote (now GlideCote) and Boeshield T9 for extended idle time. I spray a layer on after a good surface cleanup and not wipe it down after application. Both products have worked well for me but my area is pretty dry. It appears most folks have the best luck with TopCote in high humidity environments. It's a lot like cosmoline in that it leaves a waxy film. You need to give it a wipe down with mineral spirits to bring the equipment back into service.

-Joe
My dad invented Top-Cote along with whole series of lubricant/protectant products for saws, routers and guns (Bore-Cote...) under his company at the time, Sandaro (product lines was bought out by various companies). Also some to be used in military applications for munitions and arms. Top-Cote was a replacement for nasty cosmoline. You are correct if I recall correctly, it is uses both wax and Teflon in a solvent. Top-Cote worked much better to prevent rust, in particular in high salt/humidity environments, and much easier to remove. I often use it on top of my mill or table saw when not in use. Also for metal tools, that I stick away.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was asked to do a video review of the Precision Mathews PM1340GT Taiwanese Gunsmithing lathe so here it is as promised.

Go easy on me as I am a complete novice at making videos. Thankfully my son is great at editing and removed some of my screwups.:whistle:

There is one section in the video about three-quarters of the way through where I am referencing the threading dial. I mentioned when cutting even threads and using numbers 1-4. This is incorrect, it is actually when cutting ODD number of threads. Sorry about the confusion, I may have been a little nervous talking on video.

If anyone has any specific questions or comments, please don't hesitate to ask and I can try to answer them.

Keep in mind I am not trying to sell this lathe, I have no affiliation to Quality Machine Tools/Precision Mathews. I am merely responding to requests about the lathe and trying to put together as honest review as possible because there is not really anything out there on videos referencing this lathe.

Mike.

Here is a link to the video.
You did a great job! An yes the thread dial left me scratching by head. Your video got me to join the forum because of the vfd drive. Very nice!
Being three years since this video do you still like the lathe? I am looking to buy it. That is how I found your review.
I have enjoyed your other video's as well.
The info on this forum is awesome.

You did a great job! An yes the thread dial left me scratching by head. Your video got me to join the forum because of the vfd drive. Very nice!
Being three years since this video do you still like the lathe? I am looking to buy it. That is how I found your review.
I have enjoyed your other video's as well.
The info on this forum is awesome.

Thank you very much.

Yes, I am still very happy with the lathe and would purchase it again. It has done everything I have asked of it and is a pleasure to run.

Good luck on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it. Matt is great to work with.

Mike

Can you reverse the feeds on this lathe?

Back