Precision Mathews Rml 16-60 V Lathe Arrived

I want a bullet paperweight, too!! That is a neat idea that may just end up being a gift for someone someday. I'm really glad you are liking your lathe. I wish I had the room and budget for a machine that size. Keep us posted as you spend more time behind the levers!

I'm finally getting around to posting something about this lathe. I turned this pin down from 90mm to 80mm on a portion of the inside. Its for an excavator attachment. I took measurements from one end to the other as I was turning it to size and it was always within 2 to 4 tenths from one end to the other. the span is 16 1/2 inches so I am very impressed and happy with this lathe.

lathe.jpg

Nice. And I'm still jealous after all these years too. ;)

Why aren't these lathes still available? Market to small I guess?
I wonder if the new ones are still made in the same factory?

Soooo enviuos!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why aren't these lathes still available? Market to small I guess?
I wonder if the new ones are still made in the same factory?

They are still made by the same factory in Taiwan, they come with different paint schemes any may have a different acronym. Just do a search on RML-1440 or RML-1640, they are sold by Acra, Kent, QMT and a few other vendors. I installed a VFD on FIrestopper's (Paco) RML-1640, they are just amazingly well built and solid, easily will hold a few tenths over 12". The RML is a D1-6 spindle mount and a 2" spindle, there is also the ERL-1340 which is the same level of machine but with a D1-4 spindle with a 1-9/16" bore. Price wise they were actually a lot of machine for the money, but prices have gone up 5-10% this year and now they will probably be adding sales tax even if shipped out of state.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-acra-1640te.66846/

Precision Matthews used to sell this machine?
QMT?

Last edited:
Hi Paul
That is a very nice lathe. It kind of makes my PM-12x36T look less impressive now. Congratulations on a look at your impressive shop, and machines.
Thanks for sharing.
CH

Back