Precision Matthews Delivery Question

sunrise305

Registered
Registered
I am planning to order a PM-728VT. My driveway is about 50 feet long and made of belgium block with moderate rise (gains maybe 3 feet) going up to my garage. Then it's another 40 feet through the cement-floor garage to my workshop in the back (passing through a 34.5" door along the way) . What has your experience been with the delivery guys in terms of assistance getting the pallet all the way to where you need it to go? Will they take it all the way to my workshop as part of the liftgate price? Throw them a few extra bucks? Or will they refuse? Thanks for any guidance!

Attachments

• Driveway1.JPG
    Driveway1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
I see no reason for them to not be able to drop it right in your shop. I'm assuming the lift gate delivery will have a pallet jack to get it off of the gate.

It's this statement on PM's website that is the cause for my concern:
***NOTE Any deliveries are Curb Side Only, the trucks can NOT leave a public roadway as they are heavy and have a chance of cracking any driveway. These are shipped by standard truck freight, and a freight truck must have reasonable access to your home. If this is not the case, you will need to make arrangements to pick up at the freight terminal or have it delivered to a place that is suitable for a typical truck delivery. They will NOT be able to back on to your driveway, but they will have a pallet jack to move it around so if you have a typical flat, paved drive, it should be no problem. If not, please make arrangements before ordering***

Depends on the trucking company & the driver. Techinically they're not obligated to due to liability reasons. My home is on a hill & my driveway is steep. He first parked out in the street but because of the hill & the weight of the lathe it wasn't easy for him to get the pallet off the truck. So he then manuvered the truck to get part of the lift gate on my driveway. Luckily the driver I got wasn't a rookie. Had to jump the pallet jack off the liftgate with my help. He got the lathe inside my garage like I asked. Slipped him $20, he was very happy & so was I.

Same story with my mill/drill but that delivery was a bit easier, different freight company, & gave that driver $20 too.

Img_6353.jpeg

Img_6356.jpeg

Img_6086.jpeg

Somewhere on here I read about one of our members giving the driver a couple cans of pop as a thank you to get the machine in his shop. How embarrassing. Don't be stingy .

I give drivers a minimum of $20 and more. Sometimes $40. I am also one of those guys that tips the waitress well beyond the 20%.

Somewhere on here I read about one of our members giving the driver a couple cans of pop as a thank you to get the machine in his shop. How embarrassing. Don't be stingy .

I give drivers a minimum of $20 and more. Sometimes $40. I am also one of those guys that tips the waitress well beyond the 20%.
The day my mill was delivered the driver brought it up my drive and dropped it off right at the door (it was too high to go through).
I was so embarrassed because I had absolutely no cash in the house to tip him. However I was cutting the strapping and he admired my knife, so I gave him that and he was really happy.

Just dropping by to say I find this whole "tip the delivery man" recommendation interesting. I don't have an opinion I don't think. I'd never considered tipping a delivery person in my lifetime. Now I'm taking a trip down memory lane, wondering how many times I've been a friendly jerk unwittingly.

Just dropping by to say I find this whole "tip the delivery man" recommendation interesting. I don't have an opinion I don't think. I'd never considered tipping a delivery person in my lifetime. Now I'm taking a trip down memory lane, wondering how many times I've been a friendly jerk unwittingly.
When I was in my early 20's and living on my own I would occasionally order a Dominoes pizza. I knew the delivery guy and I never tipped him. I never knew at the time that I was suppose to. Looking back he probably thought I was the worse person around.

I have had several deliveries and they have always been able to use the pallet jack to get the items down my driveway and into the garage. Don’t see any reason they won’t go through to your shop. The door width may be an issue. Most pallets are 48”. If that is the case you may need to cut it down and they likely won’t wait for that. Typically a pallet jack rental is only $30-40 for a day (I think even Home Depot rents them now) And assume you are renting an engine hoist or lift of some kind it just becomes part of the process. All the best with your delivery.

Back