Precision Matthews Delivery Question

I paid the extra $49 for the lift gate along with the $199 shipping - that was all. The price on the 728 has gone up. I paid $3800 with DRO back on 22-Mar-21. It was almost a six month wait from order to delivery. Plenty of time to figure out all of the tooling and devices you might need. I'm still discovering all of that. The cabinet is still the same price. There was no hard copy manual included with the mill, but you can download it from Precision Mathews. I used a wooden 2x4 home built gantry to lift it onto the stand. I strapped the gantry to some scaffolding for stability. I was able to position the mill on its shipping pallets with a manual forklift. It was essentially a one person operation although the wife helped keep the stand/chip pan/mill holes aligned while I lowered it.
Thank you so much. Very helpful!

I just had my PM-728VT delivered last week. I had ordered the lift gate service and the driver backed into my driveway and moved the mill into the garage and placed it exactly where I requested. Very nice guy. For what it is worth, I added some ratcheting leveling casters to the stand so I can move it around the garage. It is a good quality stand from PM - recommended.
I just got my 728 VT today, I ordered it with the DRO, stand and a new vice. I didn't get a manual for the mill or a manual with the DRO. I know I can download the manual for the mill but not the DRO. Did you get a manual with your DRO?....Thanks. Don

Yes, I received a DRO manual with my 728 VT mill.

Attachments

• 20210825_052316_resized.jpg
    20210825_052316_resized.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 127
Which display did you get, the 7-segment or the LCD Graphic?
I ordered the LCD with my setup.

EDIT: ahhh! you bought the Magna, my bad! :)

Thank you so much. Very helpful

I just got my 728 VT today, I ordered it with the DRO, stand and a new vice. I didn't get a manual for the mill or a manual with the DRO. I know I can download the manual for the mill but not the DRO. Did you get a manual with your DRO?....Thanks. Don
Likewise, I did get the DRO installation manual as well but no user manual. Let me know if you locate one.
There is one thing worth mentioning about installing the ratcheting leveling casters on the mill cabinet. The threads on the cabinet leveling foot nut are not quite the same as the Footmaster caster stem (something like 12 tpi vs 13 tpi for the Footmaster). I tapped the cabinet nut to match the leveling caster and then used a three inch carriage bolt to mate with the caster. Since you can't trust nuts tapped to a different thread, I put jam nuts above and below the cabinet nut to ensure a secure connection. The added thickness of the lower jam nut also ensured the caster could swivel 360 degrees.

Attachments

• Mill Cabinet Tap.JPG
    Mill Cabinet Tap.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
FYI The DRO installation manuals I received were not really that helpful, but watching the DroPros videos a few times gave me everything I needed to install the DROs on both my mill and lathe. https://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Digital_Readout_Videos.htm.

My delivery men unloaded the equipment and together we moved in into the garage. Up a small rise (8" rise over a 26" distance) then down the driveway (not steep). The hardest part was getting it off the truck since the truck was really too small for the machine with the given equipment...

Likewise, I did get the DRO installation manual as well but no user manual. Let me know if you locate one.
There is one thing worth mentioning about installing the ratcheting leveling casters on the mill cabinet. The threads on the cabinet leveling foot nut are not quite the same as the Footmaster caster stem (something like 12 tpi vs 13 tpi for the Footmaster). I tapped the cabinet nut to match the leveling caster and then used a three inch carriage bolt to mate with the caster. Since you can't trust nuts tapped to a different thread, I put jam nuts above and below the cabinet nut to ensure a secure connection. The added thickness of the lower jam nut also ensured the caster could swivel 360 degrees.
I called them and they sent me a PDF manual and I printed it.....

… I find this whole "tip the delivery man" recommendation interesting…

Well, you’re not alone. Growing up in Australia which didn’t have a tradition of tipping, I had no idea what to do when I moved to Canada.

The minimum wage in Canada is not too bad I guess, so I didn’t know whether anyone in the service industry really should be tipped. I don’t get a tip for the work I do, though I’m not working for minimum wage.

After talking to a few other Canadians, the rule they use is that if the level of service is not dependant on a tip, then one isn’t warranted. (For example definitely not when ordering takeout that you pick up at the counter, or takeout delivery. You could even argue that dining in doesn’t qualify for a tip in Canada, using this method).

So for someone who helps you move a delivery up a driveway that requires effort on their behalf that they shouldn’t reasonably provide, then a tip is warranted.

I paid for liftgate delivery and when my lathe was delivered, the delivery company put it on a broken pallet that couldn’t have a pallet jack put underneath it. I grabbed some tools and was able to lift up a corner so we could get the pallet jack underneath and then we pushed it the 25’ up the driveway, where I used a crowbar to lift it off the pallet jack. Neither of us got a tip, which seems like it was reasonable?

Back