Preservation

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So,per my purchase of gauge blocks in the tool forum. I wiped them all down with tissue this evening, since they had been fondled, by me and whomever. What do you use for a coating to keep these pristine? My goto on almost everything is atf, is there a better alternative?

A sheet of VCI paper inside the closed box will help a lot to shield from atmospheric moisture. Good for all precision tool storage in closed containers. It won't prevent damage from acidic perspiration but you're taking care of that with the wipe and oil/lanolin.

My goto is FluidFilm. A can lasts me forever and it’s main ingredient is lanolin so nothing toxic. Trick is to squirt a little on the surface and spread it with your fingers and don’t wipe it off until you go to use it. I use it on all my metrology instruments. I put it on all my cast iron tables that aren’t covered like my drill press and carbide grinder and wipe it off and good as new. And around here everything rusts in a blink of an eye.

VCI paper is also wonderful. I have my laser cut parts wrapped in it and it always arrives perfect. No residue either. Another good one is BullFrog emitters. They are like stick on sponges made for fishing tackle boxes. Stops rust especially in like sealed plastic tubs. Just don’t want them to rest on metal parts as they melt onto the metal.

I had someone on the other forum post that he "taken to leaving a camphor block with a corner barely cut open in any drawers that have metrology gear in them."

Found this on Amazon, I'm going to get some myself.

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 11.16.58 PM.png

Your finger prints can ruin the wringing surface of gauge blocks. I don't handle mine without gloves. Clean them with denatured alcohol. I do coat them with vaseline when I'm finished with them and store them back in their box.

So,per my purchase of gauge blocks in the tool forum. I wiped them all down with tissue this evening, since they had been fondled, by me and whomever. What do you use for a coating to keep these pristine? My goto on almost everything is atf, is there a better alternative?

I use human grade mineral oil on stuff that i handle, for example gaughe blocks and calipers or rulers.

Stu

So,per my purchase of gauge blocks in the tool forum. I wiped them all down with tissue this evening, since they had been fondled, by me and whomever. What do you use for a coating to keep these pristine? My goto on almost everything is atf,
I keep a ZeRust tab in the box, which I do for all of my storage needs and has served well in my basement shop, but I also have a dehumidifier.

Here is a helpful video from Mitutoyo, although they are showing ceramic blocks it has some good info including a recommendation for preparation prior to wringing:

Back