Pressing in rod on honda mower transmission shaft

mahaffeymj

Registered
Registered
Know very little on machining/pressing stuff so was hoping to get some info on this forum.
Have a new transmission shaft on a well-made, discontinued Honda lawn mower that am trying to rebuild. Have pressed in bearings on it using a vise, but this seems to be a different animal to get in. The shaft is steel and the 6x15mm rod that is inserted in the shaft takes the engine power through the transmission to turn the back wheels. Is there any tool/tools that may facilitate this job? or what type machine shop with what tools should be able to handle this job and at what cost range? TIA and can give more info if would help.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Some photos or a sketch would help us diagnose- I'm guessing this is a pin that's perpendicular to the shaft? Use of a vise is probably still possible if you make some type of cradle to hold/protect the shaft-
-Mark

Last edited:
Some photos or a sketch would help us diagnose- I'm guessing this is a pin that's perpendicular to the shaft? Use of a vise is probably still possible if you make some type of cradle to hold/protect the shaft-
-Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
see above. the rod is still in the old, broken shaft and I have used a vice to press it out some, but it is very in there. New shaft to left. I tried the vice and not sure I can even remove the old one, much less put it in the new shaft. any tools to make it easier? machine shop able to do it? what tools would they need? and yes pin perpendicular to shaft. thanks

take the two shafts and a 6 pack of beer or box of doughnuts to your local car mechanic and they'll be able to do it for you. If you were doing it yourself, press something cold into something hot. The heating the thing with the hole will make it a little bigger, cooling the thing that goes in the hole will make it a little smaller = easier fit. You do have to work fast though!

take the two shafts and a 6 pack of beer or box of doughnuts to your local car mechanic and they'll be able to do it for you. If you were doing it yourself, press something cold into something hot. The heating the thing with the hole will make it a little bigger, cooling the thing that goes in the hole will make it a little smaller = easier fit. You do have to work fast though!
great idea, on both.

Hello and welcome:)

Assuming the broken shaft in the right is the same as the good one on the left the simplest tool to remove the pin will be a drift (like a flat tipped punch) and a good sized hammer to drive it out from the other side. Alternatively you could use something like a 4" angle grinder to carefully cut the shaft until there's very little metal holding the pin and drive/pull it out then. The heat from a cutting wheel will help.

Once you have the pin loose you can carefully start it into the new shaft with your vise (a couple of pieces of aluminum angle will keep you from messing up the shaft). Once it's started straight the hammer will drive it home, a piece of 2x4 under the shaft will be a good cushion to prevent damage.

John

Grind the broken end down to the pin and around the sides to release pressure. The heat generated by grinding may help also.

great idea both of you. thanks for suggestion. may give it a whirl. if I get frustrated, what machine or tool at a mechanic or machine shop would work best or be best as I will be sure and ask if they they carry such a tool. thanks

They should all have a hydraulic or arbor press, either one would do that job.

John

Back