Pretty sure I need a mill part III

At the risk of diverting your thread, are you associated with the Rogue Brewery or just a fan?

If I'm reading this right, the table is indicating higher at the ends. This is most likely the effect of gravity pulling the opposite, overhanging end down. Later in life the ends, like everything, will begin to sag. Gravity is not just a good idea, it's the law.

At the risk of diverting your thread, are you associated with the Rogue Brewery or just a fan?

Just a fan, moored the boat and fished out of Newport for years and always enjoyed the beer and the company attitude

If you think your head hurts now, wait until you see what happen when tools and fixtures deflect ever so slightly.

If you examine anything under enough of a lens, flat surfaces appear like potato chips, and polished work looks like the cratered face of the dark side of the moon. Without oil, ground ways sliding past each other appear like the Alps being inverted and dragging back and forth over the Pyrenees. It's all relative, so don't trip up over a number until the decimal point creeps far enough to the right to fuss over. Of course, it's fun to measure and examine, it's part of learning. Perspective has to be learned individually, though. My perspective is that you'll forget all about the bow in the table once you start milling away metal.

Edit: .001 accuracy takes a great amount of work to attain in manual machining. Unless it has a fit requirement with another part, I'm content with .005 most of the time. Only critical fits require more, for the most part. Check out some manufacturing tolerances called out on blueprints and things around the web, most production work is held loose so the part is more feasible to produce.

pontaic428 I think the edit: is an excellent put in perspective bit of advice
Right now my first project plan will be Herald Hall make your own clamping system and t-slot blocks. Hopefully I can pull that off within tolerance
Thanks

You can't go wrong with Harold Hall, his projects are well thought out and he is an excellent teacher. My favorite things to make with my tools are tools for my tools. The Workshop Practice series of books is available in our download library if you haven't pulled them already:

Since you need cutters for the mill, it might be worthwhile to make one of his grinding rests and tool grinding fixtures for the bench grinder. You'll be able to sharpen a number of tools with it, and it will save you money. It is also a start in grinding your own tools as-needed, instead of buying and paying and waiting when you need that one tool you don't have on hand.

You can't go wrong with Harold Hall, his projects are well thought out and he is an excellent teacher. My favorite things to make with my tools are tools for my tools. The Workshop Practice series of books is available in our download library if you haven't pulled them already:

Since you need cutters for the mill, it might be worthwhile to make one of his grinding rests and tool grinding fixtures for the bench grinder. You'll be able to sharpen a number of tools with it, and it will save you money. It is also a start in grinding your own tools as-needed, instead of buying and paying and waiting when you need that one tool you don't have on hand.
I was not aware that these were offered as downloads. Do we really have rights to do that? The books are still available from the publishers:

Craig

I was not aware that these were offered as downloads. Do we really have rights to do that? The books are still available from the publishers:

Craig
If I can't hold it in my hand or put it on a shelf, it's just an "evaluation copy". I own Harold Hall's chapters in hard copy because I liked the evaluation. Isn't that how things are supposed to work?

If I can't hold it in my hand or put it on a shelf, it's just an "evaluation copy". I own Harold Hall's chapters in hard copy because I liked the evaluation. Isn't that how things are supposed to work?
I hope you are joking...but there is no smiley face. Just in case:

Are the moderators on-side with this? Isn't hobby-machinist.com facilitating copyright infringement?

Craig

I'm going to leave that to you, if your intent is to pursue it with our moderators. I'm not a lawyer, just a guy with a good education. But I did read the Fair Use law, and all I can determine is the results of such lawsuits are highly variable on a case-by-case basis. I actually think there is room for this to be legal based on what I just read. You're not exactly beating on a bee's nest, since our site is so small, but I don't think making an issue out of this is a good way to go. Taking something away from a group you're part of might taint the water next time you come by for a swim. We usually learn that stuff on the playground.

You're not exactly beating on a bee's nest, since our site is so small, but I don't think making an issue out of this is a good way to go. Taking something away from a group you're part of might taint the water next time you come by for a swim. We usually learn that stuff on the playground.
So it is OK to steal Mr. Hall's intellectual property since "our site is so small"?!? Who do you think is the target market for his books??

Also, who taught you your ethics? Which "playground" did you attend? Reform school?

Maybe hobby-machinist.com is actually OK to host this material. I don't think so based on my understanding of copyright law. I did work a fair portion of my career in industries where IP is vital (publishing and pharmaceuticals) but I am not a lawyer. If we have permission, great. However, such permission is not apparent on the download page nor is it included with the downloaded material.

Craig

Back