Preventing swarf in the house

I made these for in front of my lathe and mill. And another in front of the door leading out in the rest of the house.
1x3's cut in half, simple nail and glue up. You can rub your shoes on the way out of the shop.
Catches everything but what is on my clothes. Also warmer to stand on during the winter.
Very common method in Europe, not so much in North America?

Attachments

• 20211121_165833 (Medium).jpg
    20211121_165833 (Medium).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211121_165851 (Medium).jpg
    20211121_165851 (Medium).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 18
I picked up 5 of these today from an old laundry service bin left behind by the previous tenants of our building.

shopcaot.jpg

John

I struggle with this, but as you indicate, my wife is beginning to notice!
O she'll notice and remind you. Nothing is 100% but the best way is leave your work boots at work. I know it is not always possible but is the best way IMHO.

O WELCOME TO H-M

MICHAEL

This is also a big problem for me. Even carefully cleaning and vacuum, they follow my shoe.

One time, I don't recall how many days I didn't go to the machine room, but we went to a wedding. We slept in a hotel and I woke up finding my eye hurt. I rub it and it was worst. I tried blink in water without help.

We then went to the wedding and reception with a sore eye. It becomes really bad at the reception. I was like crying. I tried hard, maybe few hours after I couldn't handle it anymore , I went to a bathroom and pull down my lower eyelid. A thin strand of something probably is metal poke through the surface flat on the sclera. I pulled it out and I fell much better.
For this I recommend a good dose of safty glasses. I am glad you are OK. Be careful, our machines will always try to kill or hurt us.

I made these for in front of my lathe and mill. And another in front of the door leading out in the rest of the house.
1x3's cut in half, simple nail and glue up. You can rub your shoes on the way out of the shop.
Catches everything but what is on my clothes. Also warmer to stand on during the winter.
Very common method in Europe, not so much in North America?
I did the same,but if you dont clean up underneath REGULARLY, the open spaces get clogged up fast,especially if you work every day,believe me I know. It's a bit of a PITA.

The best thing I have ever done.... installed washing machine in my main workshop. Change clothes and footwear before going "home". Wash all work clothes in workshop. Never go "home" in work clothing.
Picture old fashioned workplace where everyone had clothes locker and changed into work clothing at work.... perfect!

Back