Price Of Aluminum

davidh

Active User
Registered
i bought a slab of 3/8" aluminum that was 6" x 12" and paid $10 for it, the guy had to cut it to size for me but it was hand cut on a band saw and needed to be made parallel. i told him i was going to drill and tap a bunch of holes in it so it could have been non-weldable type plate.
was the price about average, high or a super deal ? this is rural wisconsin where there is not much of anything or anyone but this fella owns a one off welding type job shop. . .
what is the opinion here. . ?

Not a thing wrong with the price, could not have ordered it for that, and now you have it, I'd not give it another thought.

Ken

Depending on the specific type of aluminum, you got about 2.7 pounds. $10 /2.7 = $3.70/lb. Not dead cheap ($1.40/lb for rems), but very reasonable for custom (though rough) cut to your size and local.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at onlinemetals.com: .5 x 6 x 12, 6061-T6511 rectangular bar is $19.09+tax+shipping. .5 x 12 x 12, 6061T651 plate is $66.44+tax+shipping.

Your $10 is looking pretty good.

I use a 12" mitre saw with an ali blade but the work must be clamped well as it tends to pull the work up into the blade sometimes. Yes I can wreck $300 blades as well as anyone:frown:. Also, a strange atmospheric phenomenon occurs when cutting ali, it is called silver snow. Do'nt know if you have it in the US:rolleyes:.
John.

Agree, plus they usually charge for the cut(s). I was looking at some of the same size stock, but 72". It was $56.00, about $9.30 per foot before tax at Industrial Metal Supply (a local large metal supplier), or $3.80/Lb. Remnants in 6061 are a bit less, but you get what they have. Although I usually buy local, I often find some stock materials through Enco are much cheaper, but only with a sale and when they have free shipping included. If you need small lengths, sometimes eBay can be pretty reasonable and with priority mail included, you get it in 2-3 days. Larger plate stock is sometimes difficult to cut, I use an orbital jigsaw with a course tooth metal plate for the longer cuts. Have cut aluminum on a miter saw in the past, always scared the C..P out of me (have a metal bandsaw now).

Also, a strange atmospheric phenomenon occurs when cutting ali, it is called silver snow. Do'nt know if you have it in the US:rolleyes:.
John.
I've seen heaps of that silver snow up here in North Queensland, it seems to emanate somewhere from my Triton.:sherlock:
I think $10 was very good, I'm searching for a 50mm thick chunk 80x80mm square.
Rarer than hens teeth up here.

From the yard I go to I pay 1.25/lb, plus .50/cut. At 2.7 lbs. plus two cuts That would be --- $4.37 for the piece you have. Considering your location I would say you did well.

"Billy G"

Bill 50 cents a cut? I was quoted $20 a cut this week locally and I was buying $300 worth of metal that only required 2 cuts. I gave them an eyeroll on their $40 cut charge.

I know the guys. They charge me .50 per cut. $20.00 per cut is high anywhere. I would never pay that. I will check tomorrow to see what the full price would be. I'll bet the farm it's not $20.00.

"Billy G"

Back