Price Of Aluminum

Metals Supermarkets cut for free...oh wait but they charge more than double for the metal :disillusion:

Some of our local metal vendors try to discourage the small guys by way over charging for cuts. But sometimes you gotta pay what ya gotta pay. I just normally buy 20ft bars, hitch up the trailer and go pick the stuff up. For larger quantities, The Steel Yard will deliver for free if you buy $250 or more. For less than bar lengths, sometimes Metal Supermarkets is still the best bet. Clackamas Steel is a good choice many times, they have both new and recycled, lots of drops in all metals, but you have to go scrounge through the yard.

If none of of my local friends shops have what I need I just go to the local scrap buyer and dig threw the barrels if I find any he charges me the price he paid for it.Never hurts to make friends with theses guys and a six pack of adult beverage tip will have him look out for some if he don't have it on hand.
*****Just Saying************G****************cartangrysj1.gif***********************

I'm searching for a 50mm thick chunk 80x80mm square.
Rarer than hens teeth up here.

Depending on the end use and required strength of material could you pehaps cast a billet of it from some scrap aluminum wheels or cyl heads?

Depending on the end use and required strength of material could you pehaps cast a billet of it from some scrap aluminum wheels or cyl heads?
I may have to do that but not till I sort out my porosity problems, get some de-gassing tablets and some grain refiner.
I want it very highly polished so would prefer to use the plate.

Back