Primeweld

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know this has hashed out a million times so not trying to make another this brand vs that thread. But specifically for the guys that own the Primeweld 225 Tig, are y’all still happy with your machines or have any thoughts about them before I pull the trigger on one? Just a hobby guy looking to get into my first Tig machine to learn on. Eventually I’d love to get into a Miller or Lincoln but right now I’m just looking for a good machine to learn on and then go from there. These things seem to have a cult following on the web for what that’s worth. I’m normally a buy once/cry once guy but the difference between this machine and Miller/Lincoln is a few extra grand so not sure it would be worth it for me at this point. Also, anyone had good experience with the Lincoln Square Wave? I don’t see whole lot of info concerning them. Thanks for any advice

I have a 225 and have been completely happy with it. No experience with other machines other than my 110v Millermatic 130.
If I were to buy another welder it would be a Primeweld.

I don't have a Primeweld welder, but everyone that has one seems to be pleased with them. I would take a serious look at them if I was in the market.

I have their PRIMEWELD CUT60 Plasma cutter...

I can attest to their customer service being very good, they regularly have sales events - their shipping is fast and consumables don't break the bank.

Just some extra info I've had dealing with this company...

As I type this, I'm sitting maybe 10 feet from a coworker who bought a Primeweld TIG225X on my recommendation and he will not stop raving about it. I told him I'm looking at their CUT60 and he bought one of those as well...absolutely loves it over the Thermal Dynamics unit he had (and hates). I have two other coworker/friends who've bought Primeweld TIG225Xs as well and they are still extremely impressed.

I honestly may sell my Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT and buy the Primeweld TIG325X. I've had issues with Everlast (terrible customer service and would never recommend them) and I simply don't trust the machine. The Primweld isn't quite as digital, but has a lot more power and I trust the company far more if I ever have an issue. I've got a big Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner (water-cooled) as my main unit, but like having a backup, so I've kept the Everlast. If I could sell the Everlast and get the 325X and only lose $500 or so I'd probably do it.

I have the PW 225X with their water cooler. I'm just a hobbyist and weld just a few times a month if I'm lucky. It's been a good machine. My complaints are really just related to some nice-to-have features that you'll generally not find at this price-point. Biggest gripe is that all controls (except amperage) are analog only. Bothers my OCD since I can't set a precise value & repeat it. But really not a huge deal at all; it's not gonna affect your welding. Fans are pretty loud & not on-demand; water cooler isn't on-demand...stuff like that. I have had some recent issues with arc stability/wandering at lower amp ranges on aluminum, but it might be an issue with one of my torches vs. the machine.

The new, larger 325 machine G-ManBart referred to about does have digital display for the analog settings.

Some pics. I'm not a proficient weldor but the machine can certainly do the work. For context: I took a welding intro night course 15y ago at a voc school (gas and stick; never covered MIG/TIG), didn't do anything welding since that course until 2y ago when I bought the PW TIG. I've been more academic vs. seat time - spent tons of time watching the usual suspects on YT: WT&T, TFS, & PAW mostly. YMMV.

Foot pads
Jackstand_footpads.jpg
Some coupling nuts for mounting an arbor press to my bench
Couplingnuts.jpg

V-groove corner butt weld on 3/8" HRS
1-4_outsidebutt.jpg

1/8 Aluminum outside corner
1-16_outsidecorner.jpg

Last edited:
Fans are pretty loud & not on-demand; water cooler isn't on-demand...stuff like that. I have had some recent issues with arc stability/wandering at lower amp ranges on aluminum, but it might be an issue with one of my torches vs. the machine.
Manufacturers seem to go back and forth on fans/coolers being on-demand or always on. I know Miller went from always on, to on-demand and then back to always on (at least for some models). In the Syncrowave line they did that for sure....early ones were always on for both fans and coolers, then went to on-demand for both, then back to always on for both. I've had all three and I actually didn't like the model with on-demand fans and coolers....the cooler kicked on with the arc, but the fans came on as needed. I found it a bit distracting...the cooler was running, so you got used to that sound and then the other fans kicked on and it was sometimes distracting right in the middle of a bead. I know it added some additional circuitry to the machine having on-demand as well, and some you wouldn't think of. For example, the brass fitting for the torch has a sensor to prevent power to the cooler if there isn't a torch installed...they didn't want you to power up the machine, hit the pedal and have coolant go flying everywhere. That's just more stuff to go wrong and adds expense (may be why they went away from it). Some have claimed that the older machines lasted a long time because the fans were always on and the boards never got hot in the first place, rather than getting warm, being cooled, and cycling like that.

All of that is an excuse for a longer torch...move the machine farther away so it's not so loud :grin:

Your welding looks good!

@jbaccell - Thanks for the compliment. The more I learn, the more i realize how much more I'd need to practice/learn to get truly proficient. That's pretty much true for any skilled task though.

I really enjoy tig (kind of like how turning/lathe is my fav type of machining). I recently made it a point to get a couple hours of seat time each week with aluminum. It has helped and its been snowballing. AL really isn't a mystery once you understand what's going on. You have to start with basics and stick with those before moving onto more difficult stuff (tee/corner, lap, butt). Just run lots of straight welds on flat material (even without filler) to get consistent. That and a few tips about the stages the AL goes thru as you're establishing the puddle makes a world of difference. Moving to joints too early is an exercise in frustration. Building blocks...can't stress that enough. Its not the machine (within reason...i'm not talking about the absolute budget junk on ebay).

Back