Problem with lathe feed shaft.

Madhattan

Registered
Registered
I'm new, like really new.... I just got my new to me Emco MAXIMAT V13 lathe working last weekend and I made my very first chips yesterday. I am learning the machine and I am having problems with the FEED SHAFT not turning. The clutch turns but the shaft doesn't and I am unsure what to do next. As I understand it the Feed Shaft should always rotate then the motor is running. Any advice out there?

Thanks!

Lathe Slipping Clutch Problem.png

The lever below the two gear contol levers should engage the drive shaft. Turning to the left should allow power feed towards the chuck, in the middle is neutral (where I think you are now) and towards the right will feed towards the tailstock. See pic below:

controls.jpg

Try shifting the lever to the left while turning the chuck by hand. Do not shift this under power.

if the clutch is turning but the shaft isn't you may need to adjust the clutch. it should be the 2 Allen screws pointing towards the clutch housing

Thank you Mikey for the assist. The Feed Engage lever does have three positions: Left, Neutral and Right. In the neutral position there appears to be no rotational output of the thread and feed gearbox, as you predicted. In the left or right position the slipping clutch turns as if it wants to turn the feed shaft but the feed shaft doesn't move. The clutch is obviously disengaged. If I remove power and put a wrench on the feed shaft I can feel the clutch attempt to engage the feed shaft every 180 degrees then the clutch slips.

Thanks DDillman, I'll try the adjusting Allen screws right now!

The two holes on the right face of the Slipping Clutch appear to be holes for a pin-face-spanner rather than adjustment Allen screws if we are talking about the two holes. It appears as if I could take the clutch assembly apart but that story might have a very bad ending. I am unsure how I would ever get the balls back into the assembly without losing them. Advice?

Remove the Threaded Ring
Remove the Screw
Remove the Washer
Remove the Ball Cage
Lose the three Balls

Emco Maximat V13 Service Parts Manual Page 4, Item 12 Threaded Ring.

Clutch.png

Last edited:
It's probable that the shear pin is broken. It is part #16. This is just an aluminum pin meant to shear under excessive load. Simple to make and replace. Do NOT use anything other than aluminum for this pin.

Do you have the manual and parts breakdown?

Found the instructions to remove the pin. You do NOT need to disasssemble the clutch pack.

Drive Pin.JPG

Try to recover the broken pin and reproduce the length and diameter from aluminum. The soft, hardware store aluminum would be best. This pin is meant to shear under excess load.

Thanks Mikey I have the manual and parts breakdown. I obtained them from the Files section of Hobby-Machinist. Thank you Hobby-Machinist! I found the shear pin. In the diagram, it appears to me that the shear pin rotationally mates the Feed Shaft to the Ball Cage. Upon inspection, the shear pin seems intact. When I rotate the Feed Shaft manually the Ball Cage matches the Feed Shaft movement exactly but clicks ever 180 degrees as the clutch attempts to engage but can't quite do it. I feel and hear a solid click and I can visually see the clutch washer move left as the balls attempt to seat. I am afraid I am going to have to take the clutch assembly apart...

I wonder if there are instructions on how to remove the Feedshaft and dissemble the clutch assembly? I'm looking but no luck so far.

Last edited:
Okay, then I wonder if the keyed washer might be broken. You might have to remove the clutch and take it apart. I would try to drive the shear pin out first to make sure it is intact. If so, then you have to remove the drive shaft and pull the clutch apart. Keep us posted.

Hey I want to really thank you guys for helping me out. I don't know any machinists, I'm solo.

I'm thinking a spot of grease might be just the thing to keep the three balls in the ball cage when I have to put it back together.

Back