Problem with lathe feed shaft.

I just read a post that "... as with customary ball-detent torque limiters, spring strain is balanced through the revolution of a nut, just for this situation the components are separately conformed to the sought tangential power, worth, and a torque figuring is made in light of the quantity of components and their separation from the focal point of the rotational pivot." -unknown

Perhaps all I have to do is tighten the Threaded Ring (nut)! I'll try this first.

From the Operations Manual:

Setting the Slipping Coupling
"An adjustable sliding clutch is fitted at the exit of the drive spindle on the right hand side of the gearbox. This clutch slips when the long or cross stops are reached or if any other obstruction is struck. The coupling is set at the works. When fitting a new coupling, the following instructions apply. With a two pin key Np. 35 carefully turn the screwed plate 90 degrees in a clockwise direction. By operating the machine, check if the adjustment is enough. If not, repeat until the correct position is achieved."

Update: I tightened the Threaded Ring to the limit. Now at the lower (85) RPM's the clutch will engage; the feed bar will turn; power-feeds the apron; and power-feeds cross-slide. At higher (700) RPM's the clutch will not engage at all and just slips. I put the feed engage lever in neutral and disengaged all power feed at the apron and cross-feed then turned the feed shaft by hand. This should be very easy to turn and almost free wheeling (in my mind) but I encountered a lot of friction! I think friction on the feed-shaft is keeping the clutch from engaging.

Not so sure about the free wheeling thing. With the lathe in neutral, power off, my feed shaft is locked. I cannot turn it by hand. My power feed works properly so I'm wondering if you need to take the clutch pack apart and examine it. It may be the spring is weak and not engaging. There isn't a whole lot else in there.

The other thing you might consider is contacting Emco USA and asking one of the engineers. It may be that their current lineup of lathes uses the same clutch pack. If so, replacement parts might be available. I have found Emco to be very responsive to email queries.

UPDATE: This morning my daughter and I dissembled the pillow block for the feed shaft, thread shaft and motor power shaft at the tail end of the lathe. We inspected all the bearings and bushings and discovered that the bushing for the feed shaft was gunky and the gunk was the source of the mysterious friction. We cleaned up the bearings and bushings, re-oiled them and reassembled. No ball bearings missing and no extra parts left over! Now that there isn't the extra friction, backed out the threaded ring nut on the clutch and readjusted the slipping clutch in accordance with the manual. Procedure: Tighten the threaded ring nut 90 degrees, test then repeat until the clutch holds and feels right.

We chucked in a 2 in. x 8 in. cylinder of aluminum stock and made a facing cut with the working power feed and then a long cut. Wow so happy!

:cool: Problem fixed!

Thank you for all your advice!

Give high praise to your daughter, without her you couldn't do it.

Back