Problem with mule ears on old Colt shotgun

Thanks Bobby. Will do. I tried to do a simple measure of the chamber with a handy caliper but the number I came up with didn't make a lot of sense to me. I measured from the end of the barrel to a point in the barrel where it "narrows". I'm a little ambiguous on this as it was more of a ramp than an actual hard stop, tough to measure down inside the barrel where my fat fingers can't get to. :p Anyway, I measured it to be roughly 4". Now the way I understand it they used to measure the chamber by the length of the fired round so that would tell me that it is set up for 3 1/2" shells. I wasn't aware that they used shells that long back when this was made but I'm by no means a period firearms expert.

-Ron

Ron, You can make a chamber length gauge by turning a piece of whatever to about the dia. of the chamber. Make it longer than chamber by an inch or so. Slide the turned gauge into the chamber until it stops and mark the gauge at the face of the chamber. Remove and measure the length. Remember the length will include room for the crimp to unfold. The ramp you mentioned is the forcing cone, it transitions the shot from the chamber into the bore.
Bobby

After I get a few other things taken care of I'll take another look at the chamber and make a "gauge" pretty much as you described. Thanks again Bobby.

-Ron

Thanks for refering me to your thread Ron Its most interesting Im sorry i missed it from the start BUT my problem is that
when I go into this section I am just taken over by Toms Stevens Favorite, and I get no further, just sit drooling. So I can blame him ;)
However whilst reading I thought thet if I wanted to test fire this gun I would make a pair of thick wall case's to help take
the shock load. Now you must remember that my knowlege of guns is almost Zero. so you can have a good laugh if you want.
Thanks again now I must try to get on without taking half the day looking at the S.F.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, that's sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Don't feel too bad about getting lost in Tom's thread, I too keep a "drool cup" by my keyboard for when I get on there. :biggrin:

-Ron

don't you love it when a good plan comes togeather.
:winner:

don't you love it when a good plan comes togeather.
:winner:

The mule ears, Tom's project, or the drooling? ;) :biggrin:

It seems to happen so infrequently that I'm a little bit stunned when it does happen.

Thanks,

-Ron

Back