Problem with wiring of 1946 lathe and drum switch

IndianRob

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone.

I've been searching for a solution to my wiring problem for days and the longer I search the more confused I get. I'm electrically challenged and flunked out of Electrical Engineering 101 in college. I enjoyed building Heathkit projects but that only required soldering skills, no theory.

My problem is: I recently purchased a 1946 Logan lathe with original motor and drum switch. This, I understand, predates some electrical labeling standards so wire labels may be non-standard.

I think the lathe lived in a school for part of its life because half of its gears are missing teeth and the wiring is held together with great amounts of electrical tape.

The motor is a Peerless 1/2 HP, 1750 RPM, Single Phase, Dual Voltage. It is reversible.

There are 6 leads coming out of the motor: T1, T2, T3, T4, C1 and C2. Here is a picture of a different but similar motor showing a wiring diagram:

MotorDiagram.jpg

And this matches all of my research on my motor.

So, if I combine T1+T2 and T3+T4 at the motor, there will be 4 motor wires at the drum switch: T12, T34, C1 and C2.

The drum switch is:

Drum Switch Label 2.jpg

Drum Switch Label 1.jpg

I'm hoping that there is a simple, single best practice solution to this?

Thanks everyone in advance and I apologize for being electrically challenged!

Rob

Your motor is missing the data plate? C1 and C2 may be the start circuit but you'd need to test to be sure

OK put the VOM on ohms (like RX100 or RX1K) and measure C1 and C2. See if you get a steady low ohm reading or one that changes quickly from low to high. If the latter, reverse the test leads and check again. We want to see the change each time you reverse the leads. We don't want a steady low ohm reading or an open circuit reading
-M

Last edited:
In Clueless's drawing above, the upper end of the switch with terminals 1 and 2 is the handle end.
-M

OK put the VOM on ohms (like RX100 or RX1K) and measure C1 and C2. See if you get a steady low ohm reading or one that changes quickly from low to high. If the latter, reverse the test leads and check again. We want to see the change each time you reverse the leads. We don't want a steady low ohm reading or an open circuit reading
-M
Sorry for the delay.

VOM settings:
Black=common
Red=hot(?)
20k I think

C1+Black — C2+Red == 0 -> 1
C1+Red — C2+Black == -20(approx) -> 0 -> 1
C1+Black — C2+Red == -20(approx) -> 0 -> 1

And that helps explain how the motor operates.

Thanks for that guidance!

Rob

Assuming you identify C1 & C2 this diagram should work with that switch. View attachment 393088
Thank for for this drawing! Using the behavior of the capacitors from markba633csi’s homework assignment and your drawing I was able to understand (the basics of) how the 2 switch settings control the motor.

I really appreciate everyone’s help and explanations!

Rob

Back