Proper Link Belt

The green belt absolutely works for me. But then I don't 'hog' metal on my 1340, and have only run in reverse a few times. YMMV. :)

Thanks for that.

Best I can tell the green HF belt is an AX which is 1/2” vs the 5/8” of the BX. So, maybe either works.

I wouldn't use a A profile belt on a B profile pulley. Then again I've never tried mismatching profiles.

The green belt absolutely works for me. But then I don't 'hog' metal on my 1340, and have only run in reverse a few times. YMMV. :)

You're running an A belt on B pulleys? Interesting, never thought it would grip properly but if it works.... :)

My lathe uses dual 1/2 width belts so I'm running A belts. I run in reverse all the time to machine tapers. I never need to hog material in reverse. The Power Twist belts are just a tad bit noisier in reverse but I've never had a problem yet. Been running the same belts for almost 10 yrs now.

I have had a fenner link belt on my 1340 GT from day 1. It is a B profile. I won’t challenge the fact that they were not made to be used in reverse as a primary application. However, for me, they work fine in both forward and reverse for the work I do on my lathe.

I use link belts on most of the machines in my shop. I don’t use all my machines on a regular basis so the standard belts all seemed to take a set which I didn’t like. No problems with the link belts. I have only had the 1340 for about 3 years but I used them on my old south bend for about 10 years before I got the PM.

Good luck!

I do use reverse on my lathe but not very often and, so far, only for light, chamfering cuts. I'll give one a go. Thanks everyone!

The green link belt is made in Italy and is industrial grade, hence the high price.

You're running an A belt on B pulleys? Interesting, never thought it would grip properly but if it works.... :)

My lathe uses dual 1/2 width belts so I'm running A belts. I run in reverse all the time to machine tapers. I never need to hog material in reverse. The Power Twist belts are just a tad bit noisier in reverse but I've never had a problem yet. Been running the same belts for almost 10 yrs now.

I've had zero issues with it, and the lathe is smoother running with it. I didn't know I was running a A belt on B pulleys. Ignorance is bliss? ;)

So, I tried one of the red Fenner belts and the vibration is worse. I grabbed one of the green ones from HF and it's good on low but it slips on high. The gates BX belt slips on high and takes a set. I now can't get it back to the exact spot it was before so I have more vibrations than when I tried the other belts. The original belt works with on the small motor pulley with no vibration but I can't put it on the larger one since I've flipped the motor pulley. I guess a trip to Napa is in order to see what I can find. I'm wondering if the non-notched original belt might be best for no vibration but bad for taking a set.

I'll report back on what I find.

Do you have a single-phase 1340? Just curious as mine doesn't slip at all with the green belt, but I have a VFD w/soft start which could be the difference?

Back