Proper way to use lantern tool post

Here's an example of the slotted ring variation that John was referring to (at least as I understood he was referring to anyway).

image.jpeg

My lathe came with this one as well as the rocker type, but I think these slotted ones take some of the finickiness away from changing holders. Once the bit is set for centre height in one of the three different depth slots, you can take it in and out without having to obtain centre again. You do lose the capability to adjust rake angle though, so that becomes limited to the particular holder or the grind on the bit itself. I have one set of holders that has a really shallow angle, so I used a largish "donut" to cheat the ring up a little more. It works fine.

I don't use the lantern holder too much any more, mostly a 4-way or 3-way, but I still keep it for the odd occasion when it's the only thing that will fit. I do have a quick change as well but it's not my go to device, mostly because it's a small one and I don't find it as stable as the three or four way blocks. Just the way I'm used to, I guess.

-frank

I bought a 14 1/2 inch South Bend last week from a machine shop that just closed. It still has the lantern tool post mounted on it and a crap-load of Armstrong tool holders. So yes, some people DO still use lantern style tool posts.

Here's an example of the slotted ring variation that John was referring to (at least as I understood he was referring to anyway).

View attachment 292293

My lathe came with this one as well as the rocker type, but I think these slotted ones take some of the finickiness away from changing holders. Once the bit is set for centre height in one of the three different depth slots, you can take it in and out without having to obtain centre again. You do lose the capability to adjust rake angle though, so that becomes limited to the particular holder or the grind on the bit itself. I have one set of holders that has a really shallow angle, so I used a largish "donut" to cheat the ring up a little more. It works fine.

I don't use the lantern holder too much any more, mostly a 4-way or 3-way, but I still keep it for the odd occasion when it's the only thing that will fit. I do have a quick change as well but it's not my go to device, mostly because it's a small one and I don't find it as stable as the three or four way blocks. Just the way I'm used to, I guess.

-frank
No, that is another type, I have seen before, what I was referring to is a ring that has but one radiused seat for a rocker. unlike the common type that has a radios cut on the whole face of the ring.

This question hasn't been addressed to my satisfaction
Does the tool go in the Lantern or in the Armstrong tool Holder?

The tool
goes in the Armstrong tool holder, it (Armstrong) goes in the lantern on the rocker so that the tool can be adjusted to be on center of the work.

This question hasn't been addressed to my satisfaction
Does the tool go in the Lantern or in the Armstrong tool Holder?

The tool
goes in the Armstrong tool holder, it (Armstrong) goes in the lantern on the rocker so that the tool can be adjusted to be on center of the work.
It can be set up either way, and other ways as well, Tom. Lantern tool posts are quite versatile.

I've not used a lantern tool post but have repeatedly seen folks say it allows you to do things that are either not possible or difficult to do with a QCTP. I've been using a QCTP for over 30 years and have yet to find an instance where I couldn't do what I needed to do with it so please, tell me what I am missing.

I mean specifically, what can a lantern tool post do that a good tool in a QCTP cannot do?

I think you guys (Tom, Bob, and John) have finally answered the original question!

I have a cxa tool post on my 14” Sydney lathe. I do use a lantern style tool post on my 14” Monarch model A. I primarily use HSS with the Monarch and insert tooling with the Sydney.

Using a lantern tool post isn’t bad.

Here's a typical lantern post tool holder setup:

Unlike a quick change tool holder the height of the tool has to be set each time it's used. The tools are also sharpened a bit differently in that they are not parallel to the workpiece, rather the rear is lower with the point being on center. My Seneca Falls machine came with a similar setup. It doesn't get used often, but does come in handy from time to time.

Just like the QCTP the lantern style uses a number of different profile tool holders. Here's a link to some being sold on eBay:

While technically not identical they can also be used on a shaper. I have used several of mine on my 7" AMMCO shaper.

DSCF8103A.jpg

There are a number of Seneca Falls catalogs available for download on the Vintage Machinery website:

Several of the catalogs have pictures of the tool post setup

Last edited:
Back