Pros and cons of the PM-1340GT lathe

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
My next purchase is going to be the PM1340GT. I currently have the PM1127 and I think it should be a substantial upgrade. My PM1127 has been a good lathe for the last couple of years, but I hate switching gears to thread and switching again to feed.

I also don't like the carriage lock when you have a DRO installed. The steady rest and follow rest are also horrendous, but they work once you do some serious modifications.

I know the PM-1340GT is a popular machine, so I want know from the owner here the pros and cons of the machine. Also, how much of a hassle is it to go from inch to metric when threading?

I will DM you my thoughts.

Nooooooooo. You should DM your thoughts right here. Just spill them out right here. We are all friends. Maybe. Sort of.
Or, DM them to me too!
What the heck is DM. I know what a PM is, but DM.....
DM - Direct Message

One of the design parameters that surprised me on the 1340GT is how the gearbox oiling system is designed. If I understand correctly, based on Dave's, and others, modifications, is that the gearbox is not an oil bath system. If that is the case, I find that very strange, but maybe that is the norm on this price point of a lathe?

The Norton gearbox is open-bottom and drip fed oil from above. You need a drip bucket like this:

screenshot_4636.jpg

Back