Pros and cons of the PM-1340GT lathe

One of the design parameters that surprised me on the 1340GT is how the gearbox oiling system is designed. If I understand correctly, based on Dave's, and others, modifications, is that the gearbox is not an oil bath system. If that is the case, I find that very strange, but maybe that is the norm on this price point of a lathe?

It's called a Norton gearbox design. Been around for over a hundred years. Go look at a old Southbend.

Disappointed that Mr. Best feels it necessary to keep his thoughts on this machine private. What possible reason could he have?

I have found his many posts and tutorials to be a valuable source for the 3 years I have been on this forum, and I have always looked forward to his sharing and learning something new.

Is there some underlying issue here that I am not aware of? Entirely possible I suppose since I tend to avoid drama and gossip.

Too bad :(

It's called a Norton gearbox design. Been around for over a hundred years. Go look at a old Southbend.
Yep, I have been educated in the last 24 hours on that type of gearbox. I am pleased that folks pointed this out to me. I would not like oil dripping out of the bottom only to end up on the chip tray or having to fabricate a catch pan. Not a real big deal maybe, but I am glad I know now. It does seem rather archaic to have a gearbox like that on a lathe such as the 1340. I am sure that they were working towards a price point.

I dunno, it's a machine tool, I'd expect it to be covered in oil after it's had some use. My Atlas has constant loss oiling of the spindle bearings - it's great, constantly flushes out any crap that makes it into the bearings. I stick a piece of folded up kitchen paper towel under the headstock and replace it every time I empty the chip pan. Supposedly the oil soaked towels make great fire starters, though I haven't given that a try.

honestly peeps, these are tools designed to be used, not heirlooms to put in a case.

I dunno, it's a machine tool, I'd expect it to be covered in oil after it's had some use. My Atlas has constant loss oiling of the spindle bearings - it's great, constantly flushes out any crap that makes it into the bearings. I stick a piece of folded up kitchen paper towel under the headstock and replace it every time I empty the chip pan. Supposedly the oil soaked towels make great fire starters, though I haven't given that a try.

honestly peeps, these are tools designed to be used, not heirlooms to put in a case.
Hey.
I have given this a lot of thought today regarding this type of gearbox and why dripping oil is an issue for me. Keep in mind, I grew up a large farm so I am used to hydraulic leaks, etc. I spent my entire career flying around the western hemisphere in a jet. If it had a leak, we didn't go, whether it was hydraulic fluid, fuel and even something as simple as lavatory fluid (this could be a sign of valve failure and a possible breach in the pressurization vessel). Hence my disdain for leaks.
Back to our normally scheduled program...

hell yeah, wouldn't go anywhere near a plane or car* leaking fluid, but lathes are going to get oily/ dirty as soon as you start using them. As long as you keep topping up the oil and wiping off the excess, you're good to go.

*Exception being Fords and Triumphs from my Dad's era, where a leaking engine was seen as an essential rust preventing feature.

Oh yes, one caveat about aircraft. If it has a radial engine in it and it does not have oil drips underneath it, then that means there is no oil in the engine!
Similar to a Detroit............or most British motorcycles........

Back