Protective coating for latest project

Swish the brass parts in a hot citric acid solution for 2 - 5 minutes. I flat teaspoon in a liter. Rinse well and allow to dry. They will not tarnish again during your lifetime unless reworked. Works like magic, keeps my brass nice and shinny.

What is a source of citric acid and what concentration would it be? Got an upcoming brass project that this would be great for.

What is a source of citric acid and what concentration would it be? Got an upcoming brass project that this would be great for.
It's used in food preservation(canning) , many stores have it in salt form, cheap. I treat my brass with it after cleaning, then rinse in water in a bucket with baking soda to neutralize the acid, then optional - water with a cap full of car wash with wax, dry. The wax isn't really needed but it works for my application. I have stuff on the shelf that was processed 8 years ago and still looks dazzling, like they were just polished.
Ps, it must be yellow brass(not just the colour), may be a good idea to test a small piece first. Some brass gets copper colour blotches, especially with extended time.
PSS, don't leave it in too long as the action is quite aggressive though not visible. It attacks the zink in the surface of the brass, I assume reducing the surface area that can oxidize. Long soak time (hrs) will weaken thin walled brass. Be conservative, you can always give it another minute or two if it's not shiny enough,.

I think i might make a few more now using different materials like copper etc but keep basic design the same
Ever tried condensed milk to get a great finish on copper with hss? Sounds crazy but it works.

What's probably crazier is how people come up with these alternative formulas.....
"Dang, I'm out of cutting oil again! Wait a minute, I've got some condensed milk in the fridge, I'll use that instead....... "

"He was a bold man that first ate an oyster."
Oysters as in seafood/shellfish? nah, most likely just hunger.....however on the other hand if you are speaking of "Mountain Oysters" then I Whole Heartedly agree that "Bravery" was a major aspect of that Endeavor and has been ever since the very first BITE! :cold: lol

The citric acid chelates tin and copper on the surface, binding individual atoms and hindering oxidation. It should last awhile.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Back