Pulley wiggle-key tolerance AND - shaft end Loctite

maple syrup

Registered
Registered
I have a question about thread locker. I have a Bandsaw with a keyed shaft that holds on a pulley. The end of the shaft has a screw to keep the pulley from slipping off. when I disassembled these components, one or two of the three shaft end screws were loose.

I was thinking that purple low strength Thread locker ( Loctite 222) might be a good idea because of saw vibration. it should be noted that only the motor shaft is reverse thread. the other threads are not.

Is this a good idea To apply the Loctite?

Last edited:
Is this a taper lock hub on the pulley ? A pic is worth 1000 words . :)

there are no setscrews.At least I would only call a setscrew that is perpendicular to the shaft. Not at the end
Sorry, replied too soon without understanding the application. I believe that in this application, there is usually a bolt with a flat washer. The washer is usually to thin and deforms? If this is the case, then a thicker, grade 8 washer may help. May need shims under the washer against the shaft? You basically want to trap the pulley in place. Pictures would help

I have a question about thread locker. I have a Bandsaw with a keyed shaft that holds on a pulley. The end of the shaft has a screw to keep the pulley from slipping off. when I disassembled these components, one or two of the three shaft end screws were loose.

I was thinking that purple low strength Thread locker ( Loctite 222) might be a good idea because of saw vibration. it should be noted that only the motor shaft is reverse thread. the other threads are not.

Is this a good idea To apply the Loctite?
Since no one wants to simply answer the question, yes your fine using that.

Purple or blue, maybe a small amount of red, but no green.

I also have a separate New question. I edited the thread to include it starting at this post.

my old Bandsaw wheel pulley is worn.

The reason for addressing this issue is I want to avoid vibration and ticking as much as possible. I am not certain if extra steps are needed to repair the pulley. The pulley is unobtainable from online supply.

The amount of wear is small.
  1. This is a 5 mm nominal keyway. The key was measured to be 0.1964" in both directions and front to back. So I concluded that the key is not damaged. as the pulley is made of aluminum.
  2. it does not wiggle on the shaft, but does wiggle in the pulley.
  3. when everything is installed on the shaft, I feel ticking when going back and forth.
  4. there is no setscrew.
  5. Ithe pulley keyway cannot be measured. visually I can see that it is very small.Maybe I should get a feeler gauge set/? I don't know if it is needed

My potential solution is
  1. Loctite 608 on the sides of the keyway only.
  2. do nothing
  3. buy new pulley locally made for over $100
the question is should I apply the Loctite 608 to the sides of the pulley keyway since there is wiggle in pulley and no setscrew
thanks

IMG_6354.JPGIMG_6361.JPG
IMG_6359.JPG

Last edited:
You can shim your key also . ;)

Back