Purchasing aluminium stock

A few weeks ago I paid $3 per pound for brand new cut offs at my local supplier. 1 dollar for Steel, 2 For stainless and 3 for AL. All brand new cut offs and unclaimed orders. So far has worked for me.

that's a great deal on that pile of alu, well done. That's about the price the scrapyard in San Antonio sells alu and stainless for.

Man, I find metal to be just like Alaska crab or sockeye salmon... market rate, fluctuates daily.

Raw metal is a pure commodity after all. Whether it's a new dam in China or a skyscraper going up in Warsaw, the market responds to the punch of demand globally.

The part that hurts is knowing how cheap and plentiful material used to be... and not all that long ago.

Vega didn't have aluminum piston walls for long. They sleeved them after 74, I think.
My mother replaced her 74 aluminum bore with a 75 sleeve bore. The ridge on the aluminum bore was almost .040 with only 50K on the clock.
You would think they would have tested that process before mass production??
I was a car salesman for one year I couldn't stomach it :) This was 1980. Good credit got you a 15% loan.
I remember the aftermarket warranty company we dealt with would not offer a product for used Vegas' or AMC Gremlins.
Hmm, I wonder why.
There was also that Cadillac engine that had an aluminum block. Not much confidence if it ever got warm :)

You would think they would have tested that process before mass production??
I was a car salesman for one year I couldn't stomach it :) This was 1980. Good credit got you a 15% loan.
I remember the aftermarket warranty company we dealt with would not offer a product for used Vegas' or AMC Gremlins.
Hmm, I wonder why.
There was also that Cadillac engine that had an aluminum block. Not much confidence if it ever got warm :)
You'd think they'd have tested for fuel tank rupture and explosion (also which my mother's car suffered) but, well, it was Chevy (and Ford) in the mid 70's.

One would also think they'd test magnesium engine blocks on VW's but, well, you know the rest.

And I forgot to mention. I think I'm in the wrong business. I must pay this place by weight to accept my scrap metal, and yet I'd have to pay by weight to get it back!
they don't pay you for your scrap metal ? You pay them???

Back