Purchasing aluminium stock

If you are buying off FB Market place I would calculate the weight, look up the scrap price and make an offer based upon that.
As a reference and this may be high. I pay the following for scrap.

Steel, $1.25 per #
Aluminum, $2.00 ""
Stainless, $2.75 ""

A sticky thread with just a list of scrap metal dealers (sellers) and locations would be nice... I don't know of any in my neck of the woods (northeast US). I rarely see any posted on CL; haven't looked much on FBM. My purchases are mostly eBay, drops from local fabrication/mfr shops, or auctions.

As a reference and this may be high. I pay the following for scrap.

Steel, $1.25 per #
Aluminum, $2.00 ""
Stainless, $2.75 ""
One of our local used equipment dealers also stocks metal. Mostly flat and round stock, but occasionally gets in some tubing, and angle if the price from the wholesalers is right. Before the pandemic the price for steel was $1.00 per pound regardless of shape, and aluminum was @2.00 per pound regardless of shape. Since the pandemic steel is $2.00 per pound and aluminum is $3.00 per pound. He will order anything you want from the wholesalers, but it sells for whatever the market price is.

The local scrap yards around here quit selling to retail customers several years ago. To many complaints, and to much liability.

It's hard to believe something is cheaper in Canada but I just bought 4 x 8 sheets, one of 1/4 and two sheets of 10 gauge at a dollar a pound from a steel supplier in Ottawa.

Greg

A sticky thread with just a list of scrap metal dealers (sellers) and locations would be nice... I don't know of any in my neck of the woods (northeast US). I rarely see any posted on CL; haven't looked much on FBM. My purchases are mostly eBay, drops from local fabrication/mfr shops, or auctions.
Check out Yarde drop zone, they have a variety of metal types and sizes available, and several service centers in the Northeast. Shipping for my orders has been much cheaper than I expected. Another one is Allient Metals, but last time I looked, their drops inventory was poor.

Www.yarde.com

A local mold shop was going out of business and the owner said take any of the material inventory you want, a dollar a pound. I bought a hundred $ of brass and aluminum. A terrific buy, 3/4" x 6' brass bar, lots of similar sizes, and some Blanchard ground 1/2" plate, 12"x12", goes on and on, just great stuff.

The local scrap yards around here quit selling to retail customers several years ago. To many complaints, and to much liability.
I remember the scrap yard before the business changed the rules.
One day the yard was a mess, as always.
The next day, it was very well organized, you had to be accompanied by an employee.
I should add, the prices tripled.

Yeah, I get it.

Back