Put a ding in my mill table

Wow, that's terrible. Thanks for posting the pic. It's way worse than I anticipated. Actually, it looks totaled to me. Condolences.

I'm also on this bus, but my table also has two end mill marks but its 55ys old so i filled those with liquid steel crap sanded and stoned the
I rubbed in with a rag never sneeze across the whole table. buff with dry towel spray PB blaster wallah try that....Now keep cardboard
on the table for the night gremb'lens when ya sleeping.,,!! and then my pristine rotary table I slightly ran into the table cause my pocket
caught the knee handle. We know I know this will not hurt but I don't like it. What I did was run the same end mill in the pock mark and
made a perfect pock mark, then I printed a decal of the mfg. and stuck it in there... Like My thoughts were lathe chucks. Don't they have
a milled recess with a sticker on the face like my big lathe says "Rohm" on the chuck.. sam

I remember a few decades ago when I worked in a mom & pop job shop, the owner (the old man as we called him) was very OCD and a real jackass. He looked upon his machines like they were classic cars or something. Anyway, there was a young apprentice who worked there that had about 3 months left on his apprenticeship. He was a very conscience worker that gave up a better paying job to get into this apprenticeship, as there were hard to get at the time. Chuck was a meek, mild mannered guy and kinda religious and really put his heart into everything he done.
He came to the break area one day, acting very out of character, fidgety and nervous, looking a little pale. I knew something was a miss, so when the other guys left the break table, I asked him what was wrong. He looked over his shoulder to make sure no one else was in hearing distance, then he told me. "I was drilling some holes in a set-up plate, and I accidentally drilled into the mill table. If the old man finds out, they'll carry me out in a body bag".
I could see why he was so nervous, the old man was very intimidating, and he not only feared for his job, but getting his journeyman's card as well.
I could see that the guilt was eating him up from the inside, so I offered to help him if I could. I strolled over by the mill and casually looked at the table without drawing too much attention to myself. On the pristine table top there was an 1/8" hole, about 1/4" deep, that just happened to be centered between the T slots. It was to the right side of the table, far enough out that a vise would not cover it.
As he told me, he was drilling a series of holes and broke a bit. He replaced the bit, but forgot to re-set the quill stop.
I came back to his work bench to see the fear in his eyes, and said "Relax......I got this".
I finished my lunch early, and went back and run a 6-32 tap in the hole, added a set screw, then stamped O-I-L around the screw.
The old man never caught on......:cool:
Best Laugh I had all week. That's awesome !!!!

It's quite oblivious your not going to get much sympathy here. Good grief it's only a small ding from a #7 drill. I have wood covers on my mill, some thing to concider

I felt so bad about my first BAD ding(as in major), I bought a brand new table, it's still leaning against the wall.

I am, by nature and practice, a weisenheimer. I've been making a conscious effort to behave myself on this board as I'm a newbie and everyone seems so polite and professional here.

A couple of posts on this thread had me laughing until I had tears running down my cheeks. I feel MUCH better now.

After buying a new vehicle, I've often said I should just take a ball-peen hammer, pick a random spot and give it a whack just to get it over with. Especially trucks.

Condolences to the OP, know that feeling well.

Kind of reminds me of people.... Or so called friends who won't let you use their pick-up truck to move something because they are afraid of scratching the bed.
It's a tool for Heaven's sake. Not a piece of furniture.

This is why I have 2 trucks. One for show, one for work.....
Rosie1.jpgP1000728.JPG

Unfortunately, the pretty one keeps taking the hits. I don't think I've ever dented the GMC. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Wait until you get a CNC mill and the controller runs amok. Early on, the controller failed and tried to drill through to the axis ball screw. Fortunately, it hit in the way and I was able to E-stop it before it broke through. A plug was turned and inserted in the hole and trimmed. It is barely noticable now and only if you know it is there. Three more holes happened with a similar incident. They are about an 1/8th inch deep and 1/8th inch in diameter and serve to remind me to double check and then recheck my machine parameters.

I had another incident where the z axis driver failed and managed to cut a 1/8" groove in the nose of my new 5C collet chuck and a 7/8" collet. Surprisingly, the 1/8" carbide end mill was unscathed.

Back