PVC shortage

Why sell a lot for a little, when you can sell a little for a lot? My wife was comparing the cost of avocado's that I got in Feb. to the same product we bought today at the same place (Cost Co) $ 2.99 in Feb, $6.99 today. When you have a few huge corporations controlling large sections of the economy, this is what you get. Seems anti-trust laws, or at least there application is a thing of the past. I don't really care what the supreme court says, corporations are not people. Rant over. Mike

it's being blamed on the frozen pipes in Texas shutting down so many petrol-chemical processing plants.
-brino

That has got to be the lamest excuse I've heard, yet. It was cold for a few days. I could see that causing some pressure on the market, but now to the point of store shelves being cleaned out, along with the metal, wood, and semiconductor shelves.

There is something amiss.

It sure sounded suspect to me.......I would sooner believe it's due to physical distancing rules between employees at those plants cutting production for a sustained period.

We only have ~12% of the workforce actually coming to the building now.
During the worst of the pandemic it was realized that all the software guys, and many more in purchasing, marketing, etc., can work 100% remotely.
Only the hardware types that need to actually handle cards and solder things are on site.
It sure makes parking here easy!

-brino

Seems anti-trust laws, or at least there application is a thing of the past. I don't really care what the supreme court says, corporations are not people. Rant over. Mike
I agree 100%

There was a time when the FTC closely scrutinized proposed mergers and acquisitions using the HHI, which is a simple procedure quantifying effects of monopolies on market competitiveness. But seems anything goes these days.

Fortunately, the proposed new FTC chairman has a history which suggests she'll be critical of all of this.

Why sell a lot for a little, when you can sell a little for a lot? My wife was comparing the cost of avocado's that I got in Feb. to the same product we bought today at the same place (Cost Co) $ 2.99 in Feb, $6.99 today. When you have a few huge corporations controlling large sections of the economy, this is what you get. Seems anti-trust laws, or at least there application is a thing of the past. I don't really care what the supreme court says, corporations are not people. Rant over. Mike
We need Teddy Roosevelt and Howard Taft to sue the monopolies.
I believe it was the, Sherman Act.

Fortunately, the proposed new FTC chairman has a history which suggests she'll be critical of all of this.

I'll believe it when I see it. Usually, the moves by these bureaucrats always turn out to be measures to look like they're doing something positive, while allowing the corruption to grow in the dark.

Meanwhile, I broke my Chinesium vice a couple nights ago, but was able to pick up a new one on eBay for $115 shipped. A new vice for less than 20 avocados. You can't make this stuff up.

I'll believe it when I see it. Usually, the moves by these bureaucrats always turn out to be measures to look like they're doing something positive, while allowing the corruption to grow in the dark.
I have first hand knowledge of the FTC's process for reviewing and deciding on mergers and acquisitions (from the company side).

I am not in favor of huge bureaucratic institutions.

But I can say that a well run FTC is effective in blocking non-competitive moves on the part of corporations.

Back