[Lathe] Q about Craftsman 101/Atlas 618 milling cutter holder (draw bar)

auto.pilot

Active User
Registered
I found this on my local CL late last night and bought it today. The paperwork is dated 1972, but it appears to be unused and was in the original box. Here's the problem- it doesn't fit, since the spindle on my lathe is not tapered. Paperwork clearly says it's for a Craftsman 6" lathe. What did I buy? Separately, I'd like to be able to use collets with my lathe. What do I need, since it's clearly not this one?

ThanksCraftsman-Draw-Bar.jpgCraftsman-drawbar-2.jpgCraftsman-milling-cutter-instructions2.jpg

Jim

Craftsman-Draw-Bar.jpg Craftsman-drawbar-2.jpg Craftsman-milling-cutter-instructions2.jpg

There where two 6" craftsmen lathes. I believe yours is a Dunlap, and the Model 109 is an Atlas which this part will fit. Very different machines. There is a huge market for these parts on EBAY.

I think it's the other way around. this craftsman 101 is identical to the atlas 618. the craftsman 109 was not made by atlas. i will likely list it on ebay to raise funds for the correct attachement, as soon as i figure it out. thx jim

Looks like a Craftsman/Atlas to me. I thought the Dunlops had a sheet metal cover on the head stock?

I believe you are right, but the spindle on the Dunlap is much smaller than the Atlas so your part would not fit either machine?

The Atlas 6" has a #1 Morse taper in the headstock while the Dunlop is #0 which likely means no taper. Measure the taper and see if it is not a #2 instead of #1. It looks a bit large to me.

I believe you are right, but the spindle on the Dunlap is much smaller than the Atlas so your part would not fit either machine?

Dunlop has 3/4 spindle thread while the Atlas 6" is 1" thread.

I am not so sure about the Dunlop spec. I found a listing saying 1/2" while there is a posting where a user is saying 3/4".

Perhaps I need to clarify a bit. I bought the drawbar and milling cutter holder, not the lathe.

Here's another picture of the instructions. Says it will fit Craftsman 2120 and 21408 lathes. What are they?

Craftsman-milling-cutter-instructions.jpg

Thanks

Jim

Craftsman-milling-cutter-instructions.jpg

Bear with me I am bouncing between sites to get your info.

Your atlas is a #2 on the spindel and #1 on the tail stock.
Bill L.

Back