QCTP Dorian? Aloris? Other?

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I'm officially DONE with the QCTP that came with my lathe. I need to replace it with a CXA tool post of very good quality. The one I have is the piston type and it does not always stay locked. I thought it was operator error but today I broke a parting tool and found that the tool holder was loose. This time I am doubly sure I tightened it very well. I have a feeling it wasn't operator error the other two times either. There are a couple of other things I dislike about it too.

So, I have the budget at the moment for top of the line but is an Aloris or Dorian worth it? Other options? Does the extra investment make a difference vs. a Phase II or whatever? This is hobby use mainly but I do some large chunks of steel sometimes and don't baby this 16" lathe.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Also consider a MultiFix toolpost.

Yes, Chinese, but something of an exception, as it's a really well-made product. Yes, it's copied from the Swiss original, but the Swiss company stopped making it, so this place started making one.

I’ve had a Phase II, an Aloris and currently have a Dorian, all wedge type, the fit and finish from the the Phase II and the Aloris is big and the fit and finish between the Aloris and the Dorian Is also big, the Dorian is a piece of art. In actual operation, the difference between them in use was minimal.

Last edited:
Also consider a MultiFix toolpost.
I'll check that out too. I've never heard of it before. Will I need to toss my CXA sized tool holders or are these compatible if I chose the right size?

I can see no justification for the extreme purchase price of Aloris parts. I have most or all brands, and there is basically NO functional difference among them.

I had a Phase II. Granted, it was an AXA size but I returned it. It was no better than the China crap that came on the lathe. YMMV.
I have given serious thought to that Multi-fix.

I'll check that out too. I've never heard of it before. Will I need to toss my CXA sized tool holders or are these compatible if I chose the right size?
The tool holders are specific to the Multi-fix so you would not be able to use them. The above link is for the chinese one but the concept started in Germany I believe. Not sure of the complete story but the rights were sold to Create.
Link to a video review of them. Create Multi-Fix Tool post and holder review.

Ah. I see. The multi-fix holder are nowhere near the same tool holder shape. Worth some thought. Thanks.

I like my Aloris, but would go with Multifix if I was starting from scratch.

My concern with the multi-fix holder is it is a single source holder and you are limited to some degree by the availability and type of holders. The holders are also 3X the cost of generic BXA/CXA type holders , so it can get expensive if you need a lot of holders. Source of the current generic multi-fix QCTP/holder is China, so I do not know how it compares with the original. Aloris and Dorian have indexing QCTP models, but I have seen them fail on occasion, they are also very expensive.

As far as piston vs. wedge most people prefer the latter, the wedge mechanism on the Dorian QCTP moves out and down which provides very reproducible accuracy and secure. I have used generic, Phase II, Aloris and Dorian QCTP, I prefer Dorian wedge action, Aloris is the standard, they all work. Getting into the CXA range they get expensive, so over $600 which may be a deal breaker.

Back