QCTP for Atlas-Clausing 6 in lathe

UXOguy

Registered
Registered
I inherited an Atlas Clausing 6 in lathe (model 10100). I would like to buy a quick change tool post that would replace the original “lantern post”. I am a novice to metal turning and would sure appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!

I got my AXA from CDCO TOOLS
just bought a BXA from ebay turned out to be from CDCO was the best price for a wedge tool post with some tool holders

Thanks, will check it out. Seemed to be some clearance issues with the OXA QCTP sold by Little Machine Shop. I think the “T” slot on my compound is the same as in the Craftsman Atlas 6 in lathe.

Thanks, will check it out. Seemed to be some clearance issues with the OXA QCTP sold by Little Machine Shop. I think the “T” slot on my compound is the same as in the Craftsman Atlas 6 in lathe.
The tee slot usually has to be made to fit the lathe you have

The tee slot usually has to be made to fit the lathe you have
Thanks, I will take some measurements of the “T” slot on my compound and see if the folks at CDCO can help me determine what (if any) further adaptation will be required of their QCTP mount to work with my set up. Hopefully not much!

I just looked at the 6” Craftsman for a friend...the 0XA QCTP was the size to get.

I bought an el-cheapo OXA from All Industrial for my 10100. Works just fine, and a HUGE improvement over the old lantern style tool post.

I bought an el-cheapo OXA from All Industrial for my 10100. Works just fine, and a HUGE improvement over the old lantern style tool post.
Did you need to make any modifications to the QCTP or did it fit the “T” slot just fine?

OK, so here is a picture of the compound off my lathe. It's not an Atlas, but yours should be basically the same configuration.
The "T" shaped nut is screwed onto the long stud. When you buy a QCTP, you should get these parts with the tool post itself.
However, the nut you get probably won't fit the slot in your compound, because there was no standard for compound slot
size among lathe builders. So, if that's the case, you will need to modify the nut you have, or obtain another one to mount the
tool post to your lathe. The QC tool post itself will not need to be modified, and you should NOT machine your compound.

When I got my first lathe (also a 6" Atlas), I just took my compound and the QCTP to a local machinist and had a nut made. Not
the cheapest option, but I didn't know anyone who could do it for me and I didn't know enough to make one with the lantern toolpost
that came with the lathe. If you know someone with a milling machine, that would be your best option.

Last edited:
Back