QCTP for Atlas-Clausing 6 in lathe

Thanks
I measured my “T” slot and got 3/16” for the height of the horizontal axis of the slot (thickness of “T” nut). The width of the base of the “T” slot is 1.25” and width of the top of the “T” slot is 3/4”
Looks like the key is fitting the slot, might have to have something milled.

All of your replies have been very helpful, now I need to make sure that OXA is not too small. The guy I spoke to at CDCO thought it might be too small for my 101 but he admitted he wasn’t familiar with older Atlas lathes.
Thanks again.

My 6 x 18 measures just over 3/4" from the top of the compound machined surface to the spindle centerline. My compound has a hump in the casting which is about 1/8" higher than the machined surface which would require a 1/8" shim washer to raise the tool post to clear. This would put the base of the tool post about 5/8" below the spindle centerline.
A Shars OXA type 2 tool holder shows 5/8" from the base to the top of the 33/64" tool slot which, in theory will permit use of 1/2" tooling. For the 6 x 18, I usually use 1/4" or 3/8" tooling. The boring bar holder , parting tool holder, and knurling tool should also clear nicely. I use Shars tool holders on my other lathe and have been generally pleased with the quality.

An AXA QCTP would be too large for my 6 x 18. It could be used but tooling would be limited to 3/16" or 1/4".

An OXA with 3/8 tooling is what I used on my 6" Atlas and it worked fine. AXA is too large.

An OXA with 3/8 tooling is what I used on my 6" Atlas and it worked fine. AXA is too large.
Thanks!

I think I am coming closer to defining the problem. My 101 lantern tool post tensioning stud has a flanged base (round) that fits into a corresponding partially inlet circular opening milled into a 1.25 by 3/16 inch flat bar. The flanged bottom of the stud flushes with the bottom of the bar when under tension. I could have a stud made that had the same dimension flange on the base as my existing lantern tool post and continue to use the existing T slot bar. There are several solutions of course. Thanks everyone!

Sure appreciate all the help!

I added a 0XA QCTP to my Atlas 618 a few months ago. I purchased mine from Shars but I think most of the Chinese-made toolposts are basically the same.

The supplied blank for the T-nut was too wide so I hack-sawed and filed off the excess. I then used the lathe to machine the half-nut (shown screwed onto the toolpost stud). The round boss is just under 3/4" so it fits well in the compound.

Regarding the raised portion of the compound, I noticed that only a small corner of the toolpost was running into the compound. Rather than add another part, which could affect rigidity, I hacksawed and filed a small section out of the toolpost, as shown below. The toolpost won't rotate a full 360 degrees but turns far enough that I've been able to make any cut I wanted.

Craig

I added a 0XA QCTP to my Atlas 618 a few months ago. I purchased mine from Shars but I think most of the Chinese-made toolposts are basically the same.

View attachment 288379

The supplied blank for the T-nut was too wide so I hack-sawed and filed off the excess. I then used the lathe to machine the half-nut (shown screwed onto the toolpost stud). The round boss is just under 3/4" so it fits well in the compound.

Regarding the raised portion of the compound, I noticed that only a small corner of the toolpost was running into the compound. Rather than add another part, which could affect rigidity, I hacksawed and filed a small section out of the toolpost, as shown below. The toolpost won't rotate a full 360 degrees but turns far enough that I've been able to make any cut I wanted.

View attachment 288380

Craig
Nice solution! Thanks for taking the time to share it with me!

Did you need to make any modifications to the QCTP or did it fit the “T” slot just fine?

It's been awhile so don't completely trust my memory - I either bought it specifying it was to go on an Atlas and got it with the correctly machined T-nut, or I ordered the T-nut separately from Ebay. These QCTPs usually come with a blank T-nut to be machined to fit, and I don't see one of those anywhere in my Atlas stuff, so I think I ordered it with the correct T-nut...

Edit - I was wrong - just found the emails. I ordered the T-nut separately from Ebay for $16 from Gartman Machine Shop, to fit my All Industrial toolopost, it was tapped for a M10 x 1.5 mm thread.

Last edited:
It's been awhile so don't completely trust my memory - I either bought it specifying it was to go on an Atlas and got it with the correctly machined T-nut, or I ordered the T-nut separately from Ebay. These QCTPs usually come with a blank T-nut to be machined to fit, and I don't see one of those anywhere in my Atlas stuff, so I think I ordered it with the correct T-nut...

Edit - I was wrong - just found the emails. I ordered the T-nut separately from Ebay for $16 from Gartman Machine Shop, to fit my All Industrial toolopost, it was tapped for a M10 x 1.5 mm thread.

I ordered an OXA specifically for the Craftsman-Atlas 6 inch lathe from Little Machine Shop. The guy I talked to owned an Atlas Clausing 10100 and reassured me that the T slot nut it comes with would work. I might have my own nut made if it isn’t a good fit. Should get here next week and will report on the fit. Thanks again everyone!

I ordered an OXA specifically for the Craftsman-Atlas 6 inch lathe from Little Machine Shop. The guy I talked to owned an Atlas Clausing 10100 and reassured me that the T slot nut it comes with would work. I might have my own nut made if it isn’t a good fit. Should get here next week and will report on the fit. Thanks again everyone!
Hi, just checking did the t-nut fit well? Thanks.

Back