Quality hand tools?

sacentre

Registered
Registered
Can anyone tell me who makes "top quality" hand tools these days? Like the kind I assume professional craftsman would choose? For example, I'm looking for new pair of good quality, general purpose, combination pliers (like the type in the photo) and I'm prepared to pay for them. Can anyone recommend a brand they've used and found well made and durable? I'm not a pro user but like to own the best quality tools if I can find them. With the market flooded with low-cost stuff these days, it's hard to know where to look. The ones in the photo and many more like them in the stores where I live, cost less than US$5/- so I'd worry about the quality for that price - maybe low-grade steel and/or poor heat treatment. Who knows?

TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-28 200122.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 200122.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I've always had very good service from Kein Tools.

Ted

I've always had very good service from Kein Tools.

Ted
Thanks, Ted. I'll look them up.

Second Knipex, along with NWS, also 'German' (That is, German companies, but Knipex at least no longer makes all their tools in Germany. Thus far they seem to be maintaining their quality on their import items.

GsT

Knipex. I have half dozen of their cobras and adjustable flat jawed wrenches. All my Knipex are made in Germany and they are superb. (BTW my wife can't pronounce it, calling it "nee-pex", whereas correctly, you sound the "k")

NWS -- check out their combi plier to answer your question.

Specialized tools: Hazet, Wiha.

For sockets I like Wera Zyklop, have their metric 3/8" boxed set; I love the cyclopes ratchet. Wera makes stuff int eh Check Republic and I am OK with that (have several ratcheting screw drivers and bit sets). Their garish "Tool rebels" marketing gimmick bears the hallmark of a confused mind, but the tools are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied on my query. I don't see brands like Irwin, Klein and Knipex around here but will certainly check on-line.

EDIT
Correction. Knipex tools are available here as I would have seen if I'd done my homework! Maybe other good brands are too. I'll be making a trip to the supplier next week to see what the 180mm combination pliers are like. The cost is around SG$S40/- (US$30/- approx) compared to the US$5/- for the Ingco ones shown in my OP.

I realise a lot depends on the type of work one expects to do with any given tool and the importance of working within it's limitations. These cheap Asian ones are probably fine for electrical work: cutting electrical cable, bending, twisting, cutting copper wire, bending thin strips of alloy, brass, copper strips etc. Not sure how well they'd stand up to rough work like yanking out a rusty nail, or gripping a rusted in mild-steel bolt. Maybe I'm over thinking this.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back