Quality hand tools?

Second Knipex, along with NWS, also 'German' (That is, German companies, but Knipex at least no longer makes all their tools in Germany. Thus far they seem to be maintaining their quality on their import items.

GsT
This is the only right answer! Be carful some brands you can only cut copper with them some Kein.

Last edited:
Irwin is a professional grade line of tools, don't know what they offer in lock joint pliers.

I don't know about lock joints, but the pairs of Irwin locking slip joint pliers I have are at least as good as the Knipex version of the same tools (non-locking) that I also own. I can't believe I am making a comparison between chinese and German tools, but I had to respond to this comment because sometimes quality turns up in unlikely places.

Klein also farms out to china these days. Quit a bit. I have a lot of old Klein tools that have lasted daily use, it's different than the new stuff.

I have a ship load of Channel Lock tools . I use them in an industrial setting and never had one fail to this day . I guess they are still made in the USA ?

Can anyone tell me who makes "top quality" hand tools these days?

The first thing I'm going to say is that after you reach some point in quality (tough in todays world....), after that point, among similar brands, feel, fit, and little details will start to trump the quality. It needs to be good enough to last indefinitely, but it has to do what YOU expect it to do as well. Absolutely you should seek quality, but if one brand of those combination pliers for example has jaws that close tight at the end, and another has them slightly open? The use that you envision will become more important than a hypothetical quality gain among top tier brands. (FWIW, if you were a lineman, where those originated, you'd WANT the jaws to not close quite all the way. It's not a defect.....). The length of the wire cutters, and with or without the "nut cracker" section are other options that blend the lines between those and lineman's pliers. Don't loose sight of exactly what you want.

The second thing I'm going to say is that finding "one brand" that is best, is probably not going to suit you well. I have found that one pair of pliers from one brand greatly out performs another, but in a different style, it's just the opposite. Both design and quality can go that way.

Like the kind I assume professional craftsman would choose?

The best tools don't make a good craftsman, but to be a good craftsman you need adequate tools. Someone doing production work will probably demand higher performance in some or several aspects....

For example, I'm looking for new pair of good quality, general purpose, combination pliers (like the type in the photo) and I'm prepared to pay for them.

That one you put a picture of, that's the kind of crossover/bridging tool that electricians (building wiring types) tend to prefer. For the life of me I can't figure out why..... They always look/feel awkward to me, but darned if they don't get a LOT of (crap) done with 'em.... In that realm, I'm a big fan of Thomas and Betts, and Klein Tools. Both quality pieces in that type of pliers, Both of a quality level that you'll never have to question if they're good or not, (they are good), and again, the actual features you're looking for, that is what will make the difference between and within those two brands, and I'm sure many others.
For that style of pliers, I would make sure to peek at the electrical section at the big box stores, and if there's any electrical supply houses near you that still deal with the public, that's the trade that these combination pliers are aimed at.

For other pliers, you'd be remiss for not considering Knipex. They've never made a bad pair of pliers. Unique enough that if you get the wrong one, you'll hate it, but if you get the right plier for what you're doing.... Unconditional recommendation. I've also got a couple of very specific automotive pliers (hose clamp pliers, and otiker clamp crimpers) from NWS, another German company. These tools are good, and if you have easy access, I'd recommend investigating any particular pliers you're looking for. I can't speak for those (yet), but I was impressed with the couple that I got.

Somebody brought up Snap On? Heck no. Snap ON, Matco, MAC.... Just no. Cutters aren't sharp, jaws aren't any harder than any other hardware store brand, they rust like no tomorrow, and just generally so overbuilt (due to the guarantee) that they don't fit where other pliers will. I'm a career long tool truck customer for things they excel at, but pliers are not on the list. Except that they ALL sell Knipex pliers. I've paid the tool truck tax to have those delivered.

Can anyone tell me who makes "top quality" hand tools these days? Like the kind I assume professional craftsman would choose? For example, I'm looking for new pair of good quality, general purpose, combination pliers (like the type in the photo) and I'm prepared to pay for them. Can anyone recommend a brand they've used and found well made and durable? I'm not a pro user but like to own the best quality tools if I can find them. With the market flooded with low-cost stuff these days, it's hard to know where to look. The ones in the photo and many more like them in the stores where I live, cost less than US$5/- so I'd worry about the quality for that price - maybe low-grade steel and/or poor heat treatment. Who knows?

TIA
If you're serious and want to spend some time researching, there are people who make youtube videos, specifically, to side by side test hand tools. They push each one to the breaking point and then give price breakdowns.
It's interesting because some of the off brands actually outperform name brands sometimes.

I, accidentally, stumbled on a pair of wire clippers that were way above anything I'd ever used before. They had perfectly squared cutters, super sharp. Good angle on the cutter. And they were free to me.
Stupid me, though. I used them like I would have used cheapo cutters and the hardened cutter chipped really bad. I ruined the best cutters I ever had.
So I went to find another pair and found out they cost $35. For JUST wire cutters. Baby dikes. YIKES!

But I kept watching and there was an electronics company going out of business. They had 5 sets for $40. Buy it now! I was on that like flies on horse apples.

s-l1600.png

I bought I pair of these Channel Lock pliers when building our deer fence, they worked so well I bought another pair for my wife. Very happy with them.

To the best of my knowledge (TTBOMK: did I just create a new acronym?) yes, still made in the U.S. How It’s Made included them in an episode awhile back, and the baby pair (6”) of “ChanNelLock” (tongue and groove slip joint) pliers I bought earlier this year say they were.

To the best of my knowledge (TTBOMK: did I just create a new acronym?) yes, still made in the U.S. How It’s Made included them in an episode awhile back, and the baby pair (6”) of “ChanNelLock” (tongue and groove slip joint) pliers I bought earlier this year say they were.
It's cute that you think 6" Channel Locks are the baby ones.

20230630_183827.jpg
20230630_183836.jpg

Back