Quality hand tools?

Not sure if you guys get Gedore in the states. High quality German tools. Still made in Germany and still family owned and run since 1918

Generally considered the gold standard of hand tools where I live.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

If you're serious and want to spend some time researching, there are people who make youtube videos, specifically, to side by side test hand tools. They push each one to the breaking point and then give price breakdowns.
It's interesting because some of the off brands actually outperform name brands sometimes.

I, accidentally, stumbled on a pair of wire clippers that were way above anything I'd ever used before. They had perfectly squared cutters, super sharp. Good angle on the cutter. And they were free to me.
Stupid me, though. I used them like I would have used cheapo cutters and the hardened cutter chipped really bad. I ruined the best cutters I ever had.
So I went to find another pair and found out they cost $35. For JUST wire cutters. Baby dikes. YIKES!

But I kept watching and there was an electronics company going out of business. They had 5 sets for $40. Buy it now! I was on that like flies on horse apples.

s-l1600.png
$35 is low-mid range for serious electronics wire cutters, there are some costing well over $200

Here is a small sample of a Channel Lock set I own . Never used them as I have 7 boxes filled with tools and will pass these down to the kids . It's a nice set for starting out .

Attachments

• IMG_9756.JPG
    IMG_9756.JPG
    379.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9757.JPG
    IMG_9757.JPG
    728 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9758.JPG
    IMG_9758.JPG
    475.7 KB · Views: 11
Another recommendation for Knipex, they have far more adjustable range and they lock in small increments. Very well made and durable. I have my share of other brands I collected through the years, they do not get used anymore.

1688233605828.png

Surprise, Channel lock is still a private American company:
According to the company, as of 2021, all of its pliers were manufactured at one of its two facilities in Meadville, Pennsylvania. However, not all products sold by the company are produced in the United States; products such as screwdrivers and ratchet wrenches are produced in Canada, Taiwan, or China.

I was expecting to find them in the morass of mergers and acquisitions:

power-tool-manufacturers-who-really-owns-them.gifIrwin-Tool-Brands.jpghg3etmbidu761.jpg

Wonder how many of these were spun off from Danaher ? /\/\/\ Apex and Fortive were I believe .

Apex is a love/hate thing with me. Some of the best are owned by some of the worst.

Back