Quarantine Projects!

What Adam talked about was Ikea "Billy" bookshelf, https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-50263838/ that he uses with glass doors for display cabinets. The long row of them pretty much fill up one wall of his shop.

I bought one, left out the shelves, got a frameless glass door, and hung the shelf sideways (door hinged on the top edge) above my workbench. Added a 12 volt LED strip for illumination. Keeps dust off a whole bunch of "tchotchkes." First photo is my method of hoisting it into place "solo." Second photo shows the door propped open and the lighting.

kHPIM6094.jpgkHPIM6098.jpg

Last edited:
In the home stretch of getting the tool boxes all setup.
Had this middle chest stashed in the cabinet under the Logan so I decided to 'marry' it with the others.
Bending over to get into it was getting tiresome.
Now one slight 'space utilization' challenge - I can't come up with a place to fit it... Heck, can barely see into the top of it.
0407201938_R.jpg

What Adam talked about was Ikea "Billy" bookshelf, https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-50263838/ that he uses with glass doors for display cabinets. The long row of them pretty much fill up one wall of his shop.

I bought one, left out the shelves, got a frameless glass door, and hung the shelf sideways (door hinged on the top edge) above my workbench. Added a 12 volt LED strip for illumination. Keeps dust off a whole bunch of "tchotchkes." First photo is my method of hoisting it into place "solo." Second photo shows the door propped open and the lighting.

View attachment 320117View attachment 320118
I would love to find something like that, but for all my tons of spray can and lube bottles. So a bit shorter. I love the glass and that it tilts up and not a regular door. I have a stupid cabinet that was made by the previous owner of the house for all my stuff and it's aweful. Even a double wide cab with clear sliding doors would be good.

You can commonly find small bookcases that are 12" wide

1586360258276.png

You can make a door out of plexi with a wood or metal frame and mount it sideways like @hman has done.

Having worked in different manufacturing situations and now for myself I think in parameters then solutions for any project. This might be how engineers think, dunno, because I ain't one. Most of the engineers I worked with didn't get their hands dirty and relied on me for practical user based feedback and we came up with design solutions together. I think we made a good team because programs like Fusion 360 or Inventor I just don't have the time to learn and they didn't want to work in an uninsulated metal building which during the winter was 35-40deg and summer 110+.

My floor space is beyond capacity. That's why everything is on castors with storage built in with small hobby sized machines. We live a mile from the sea and the humidity causes particleboard to literally explode and return to sawdust. And ongoing rust mitigation. So wood because of its weight and the fact I'm not a woodworker is out. So I'm to the point where all my reorganization needs to happen on the walls and mostly over the top of low machines like my compressor, tooling bench( big vise, 8" grinder and arbor press) and my lathe. Taking out the junk cabs and pegboard and going the whole span with nice metal cabs is a dream. Oh, another parameter is I'm vertically challenged too.

Mostly been on a 3D printing jag... AXA tool holder storage

IMG_20200404_192713.jpg

Micro Torx driver holder

IMG_20200405_184452.jpg

Still working on a design for interlocking end mill trays for a tool chest drawer

IMG_20200405_165832.jpg

The cool thing about 3D printing is that it's slow and boring, so you can work on other projects while the printer chugs along. This one was just for fun. Mill tool storage before:

IMG_20200408_201108.jpg

After:

IMG_20200408_201948.jpg

Be safe! Be strong!

LOVE that AXA storage method!

This Emmerts patternmakers vise with an 1891 patent date is one of the oldest tools in my shop. It may have been around for the flu pandemic in 1918. It's worn down over the last 100 years, but who has time for stuff like this unless you are quarantined.

emmerts vise a.jpg

I started by milling the faces. They are too long for the 15" travel of my Millrite, but the ends are the low points. I took a cut that skimmed the surface at the ends and took about 0.010" off at the high spots in the middle. It took 4 side by side passes with a fly cutter, again just within the mills range side to side.

emmerts vise b.jpg

Then I ground them. Again, slightly too long for the 18" travel on the surface grinder. The wheel comes off the back end and leaves me with about 1/2" at the other end to bring down with a hand file and bench stone. The milling was very straight end to end, but the center passes were about 0.004" lower than edges. Again, just enough side to side travel on the grinder to get the full width. 10-12 passes 0.001" deep on each jaw.
emmerts vise c.jpg

Here are the 2 faces. I've done finer grinding; but, hey, it's a woodworking vise. It will now hold a piece of paper firmly at either end.

emmerts vise d.jpg
Now I will spend the next few days washing my hands clean of cast iron dust. There will not be a speck of corona virus under my nails.

Attachments

• emmerts vise a.jpg
    emmerts vise a.jpg
    866.3 KB · Views: 12
  • emmerts vise b.jpg
    emmerts vise b.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 10
  • emmerts vise c.jpg
    emmerts vise c.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 12
  • emmerts vise d.jpg
    emmerts vise d.jpg