Question about Iron Pipe

It seems that "galvanizing" reacts with natural gas and is prohibited there.

Not so much that it reacts, but that, in the past, galvanizing had a tendency to flake off, blocking orifii. It is apparently now allowed, but the precedent remains. Black pipe is also (or at least should be) cheaper, and in a situation where both water and gas exist, makes it easy to tell which is which.

If you go to a steel vendor, you might ask for pipe size tubing. Better quality, maybe cheaper. We switched to it for grab handles/ railings a long time ago for cost reasons.

You are on the right track. Cutting angles on pipe and welding them together is exactly how many contractors build railings on site to fit any staircase. The secret to a professional looking job is to use a flap disk on an angle grinder.

WRT checking pricing;

Pipe is what plumbing suppliers "do". They'll usually have a porta band somewhere around the loading area. Not for custom lengths,just for cutting the 21' down to pickup lengths. Good luck with your project.

Try Wagner or search for metal rail fittings if you need a radius on your bends instead of a sharp corner. Your local fab shop may have weld fittings on hand also if they do railings.

If your pipe is galvanized, grind the coating off down to bare metal (a flap disk does an excellent job at this) to about ½" from your joint. Definitely DO NOT weld on the galvanized area.

If you go to a steel vendor, you might ask for pipe size tubing. Better quality, maybe cheaper. We switched to it for grab handles/ railings a long time ago for cost reasons.
Thanks GL, I'll be sure to ask about Pipe size tubing.

The secret to a professional looking job is to use a flap disk on an angle grinder.
I use Flap disk a lot for welding prep and cleanup.

cutting the 21' down to pickup lengths
I have a trailer that I use for picking up long lengths so even getting full length tubing is not a problem

Try Wagner or search for metal rail fittings
I have looked at the set-screw railing fittings on McMaster-Carr and plan to use some of them in other places but for the angle on the stair railing I think that a weld of a bend will be nicer, probably a weld.

Definitely DO NOT weld on the galvanized area.
Yep. Can't have too many safety reminders :). I don't see using ANY galvanized pipe/tubing.

I am probably a week or two away from doing the railing but will share what I accomplish, and thanks again everyone.

Waayyy back at the pipe shop, forty odd years ago, the smallest conduit we used was 3/4 rigid. In the circumstances at that location, although not fiscally viable, it made sense. When hot metal was spilled on the floor, the conduit and glass braid wiring often survived.

The significant part is that we used prefab 90's instead of bending pipe. Some unusual conduit routing, but the chief electrician's way of doing things. The cost of the prefab 90's compared to bending was much higher, but had its' reasoning. Especially as the size went up. 1-1/4 was not a common size at the pipe shop, but conduit fittings were available if we needed them.

I don't even know if the fittings are still available and certainly would be expensive, but the idea applies where needed.

If you can't find what you need i can see what the steel shop i use has and ship them to you. If you know the angle i can bend one up for you

Not so much that it reacts, but that, in the past, galvanizing had a tendency to flake off, blocking orifii. It is apparently now allowed, but the precedent remains. Black pipe is also (or at least should be) cheaper, and in a situation where both water and gas exist, makes it easy to tell which is which.
Not being a gas fitter, the reason was just "word of mouth" because scraps of 3/4 rigid conduit were sometimes used on gas lines by the "unqualified" maintenance people. They were always careful not to use it where it would show. We used "coke gas" when we could with natural piped in as a back-up. I've never been in control of those operations but worked alongside with the electrical portion. It is a bit late in my career for such things, but I believe in never stop learning. Thank you, Sir. Thank you, again.

Back