Question about tramming a bridgeport

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
So I have an old bridgeport clone and an old vise. Both seem in decent shape. I trammed the head in both directions to the table. I also squared the back face of the vise to the head I was able to reach out about 5 inches from center with the indicator. I keep cutting a taper. I’m not sure if it’s my fault or the machines.

I need to re check tram on the table and to the vise. Ideally the vise is completely true and level but im sure that’s not always the case.

Should I be tramming the head the vise since thats the primary workholding feature?

So I have an old bridgeport clone and an old vise. Both seem in decent shape. I trammed the head in both directions to the table. I also squared the back face of the vise to the head I was able to reach out about 5 inches from center with the indicator. I keep cutting a taper. I’m not sure if it’s my fault or the machines.

I need to re check tram on the table and to the vise. Ideally the vise is completely true and level but im sure that’s not always the case.

Should I be tramming the head the vise since thats the primary workholding feature?
I tram the head to the vise, some of my coworkers do different.

The part in bold is rather confusing.

You indicated the vise to the table?

Sorry. It was added in and wasn’tproof read. It was supposed to read I trammed the head and was able to reach out about 5 inches from center when tramming to the table so about 10” of distance. Then I added in that I trammed the vise, what I meant was I trammed the vise along the x axis to the head. I just put that in the wrong part of my post.

Do you have any tips to tram off the vise? Should I tram off of a clamped parallel?

Elaborate on "I keep cutting a taper". What are you cutting? What tool are you using? Is the taper along the X axis or the Y axis? How long is the piece you are cutting? Does it overhang the vise to the left or to the right? Are you supporting any free ends with jacks?

If the head is properly trammed to the table (nod as well as tilt), when you put the vise on the table, run an indicator back and forth along the X axis on the open bottom of the vise. If the vise is of poor quality, or has been abused, it may not have a surface that is parallel with the table.

When you say back face of the vise, do you mean the face of the fixed jaw, or do you mean the back of the vise? The jaw is what you want to square. What kind of indicator are you using?

I keep cutting a taper in the y axis. I haven’t had much time to investigate but it’s consistent. I need to double check tram. I’m using a 1/2 endmill on aluminum. I trammed it the. Tightend down then rechecked. Something could of slipped. The vise operates nice and looks like it hasn’t been damaged but it’s very old. It looks likea Bridgeport vise without the bridgeport name. I’ll give it all another once over see where I’m coming up.

This is all trying to square stock. It’s tapping the stock down against a parallel and using a copper wire on the moving jaw. I keep the first faced side against the stationary jaw the face the “top and bottom” sides still using the copper wire. Does this sound like the right process?

When you say back face of the vise, do you mean the face of the fixed jaw, or do you mean the back of the vise? The jaw is what you want to square. What kind of indicator are you using?
Face of the fixed jaw. I am using a dti on a spindle mount indicol thing.

How much taper ?

A lot. About 15 thou over an inch. I will be rechecking everything. This was mainly a question on what I should tram the head to. I will re check it all and report back with what’s out of wack.

Are your x gibs locked when tramming y to take x float out of the equation?

Back