Question for 1340GT owner w/PM Steel Stand

Keep the dimple, just smooth it's sides is what I meant.
Are you using the provided feet or did you switch to something different. Seems like a lot of folks switch, at least based on photos I see here on Hobby-Machinest.com

I used the ones supplied.

Can you confirm the length of the bolts provided? The threaded portion specifically. And I've read somewhere that they are M16's?

The stand is threaded, my chasers are M12, and M14. 14 is too big and 12 is too small. My imperial chasers 1/2" binds. total thread under the head is 1.5"

The stand is threaded, my chasers are M12, and M14. 14 is too big and 12 is too small. My imperial chasers 1/2" binds. total thread under the head is 1.5"
Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting some longer bolts.

I think I'm a bit confused on something. The bolts that are provided, are they approx. a 5/8" or 1/2" diameter? It looks like that dimple in the puck will take a pretty large bolt.

9/16 is too big as well, so I have to assume there is a 13mm bolt out there. The bolt must thread through the stand foot.

I'm going to bolt the stands (pedestals, bases or whatever the proper terminology is :)) to the base/riser that I made. The feet (pucks) will be mounted to my base/riser and will not be connected to the stand directly. From the top down there is the lathe, the stand, my base/riser, and the feet (pucks).

My base is 1" thick where the bolts for the puck will go through, so I need to be able to get through that 1" of material and still have room for the lock nut. That's why I asked about the length of the provided bolts.

Since I'm mounting the bolts/pucks to my base, it's irrelevant to me what the stand is threaded for as I will not be using that mounting point.

The reason I'm asking about the diameter of the bolt is because I would like to get the largest bolt that will fit the dimple of the puck properly.

I was wondering about the bolt diameter since too big of a bolt will not set in the dimple correctly. I would like to get the proper hardware now and get my base drilled and threaded so I don't have to do that while I have my friends tractor in my driveway to do the lifting off the truck and into my shop. Even if one is to do nothing extra in terms of modifications there is a lot of work to do from getting the crate off the truck to mounting the lathe on the stand, and I just don't want to keep my friends machine any longer than I need to.

I called PM for a dimension the other day and got kind of a snarky response about "why not just wait until you get the machine", that sounded kind of like stop bothering me for measurements. I would just wait if I had my own lifting equipment like a bigger tractor than what I currently have, or perhaps an equipment hoist in the ceiling of my shop. But I don't. Just trying to get ahead of the game :)

These bolts do not fit into the very bottom of the puck, if I was to use imperial I'd go 9/16, 5/8 would have a little too much diameter. That's just my feeling, maybe someone has a better feeling about it.

These bolts do not fit into the very bottom of the puck, if I was to use imperial I'd go 9/16, 5/8 would have a little too much diameter. That's just my feeling, maybe someone has a better feeling about it.
Thanks for that info!

I'm wondering if the bolts provided were turned or ground to have a round end that would match the dimple? I suspect not, that they are "just out of the box".

And if not, would a rounded end of a 5/8 bolt fit proper? Hope that makes sense.

Back