Question How do you guys store your nuts bolt and washers ?

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
I did some work in the pole barn and now want to figure out a way to store my crap. Right now I have twentyfive ish coffee cans with different items. I had them on shelves under my work bench but I want everything off the floor to eliminate dirt catching areas.
Thanks Ed

I use storage boxes like these

image.jpg

I pick them up when they are on sale. Husky at HD makes a similar one.

image.jpg

I store them on shelves standing up with a label facing out so it is easy to pull out the case I need. I have about 10 of them now and it is great to have what you need when you need it. The little boxes can be taken out of the case and used as needed. When you close the lid all the little bins are locked in place. They are not cheap, but they work great.

image.jpg image.jpg

Here are my solutions:

The double sided rotating storage, fits nicely in an area that would otherwise collect junk. Attached to the wall with a 2x4, and has a bracket at the top that is the upper ''bearing''. The lower bearing is a piece of 2 inch pipe sitting on the floor with a big washer on top to support the weight. The shaft is a length of 3/4 pipe. The back boards are 3/4 inch partial board, and the bins and brackets are from HF.
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg

I picked the red ones up at HF, the yellow ones came from a hardware store closeout. I don't think HF sells these any more.
IMG_0439.jpg

The roll around storage bin. It's pretty stable, I just hope I never tip it over.:talktogod: The bins are from HF
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg

The sliding door storage for hanging stuff. A 1x2 frame faced with peg board. The rail is a 10ft length of Uni-Strut, I found some skate wheel type bearings that would fit in the Uni-Strut. Everything from Home Depot. All of the shelving is 16 inches deep and made from 2x4 and 2x2, and 3/4 inch particle board. It is supported off of the floor, but attached to the wall.

The storage bin boxes are regular cardboard storage bins 12 inches deep that I picked up somewhere. Available from many places. You can get them in plastic also.
IMG_0443.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg

For small parts storage, the multi-drawer storage cabinets are great.
IMG_0447.jpg

Air compressor stand, and small piece metal rack. Aluminium on the top shelf, steel on the bottom. Made from 2x2x0.093 steel tubing with 3/4 plywood shelves.
IMG_0448.jpg

And of course the misc bolt bin.
IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0441.jpg IMG_0440.jpg IMG_0439.jpg IMG_0438.jpg IMG_0437.jpg IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0445.jpg IMG_0446.jpg IMG_0447.jpg IMG_0448.jpg

I did some work in the pole barn and now want to figure out a way to store my crap. Right now I have twentyfive ish coffee cans with different items. I had them on shelves under my work bench but I want everything off the floor to eliminate dirt catching areas.
Thanks Ed

Ed---ScrapMetal started a thread called--where do you keep all your stuff---it has many members answers and pictures---I suggest it would help you and others to search for that thread for storage of items in your shops--it was a good thread------Dave
and Jim---I like where you mounted your compressor

:holdphone: hello, hoarding intervention institute do you pay a finders fee for referrals?

My local Wilco Farm store sells grade 5 and grade 8 bolts by the pound! Once a year they have a 30% off sale and I stock up. I store mine in plastic bins.

I'm like Brav65, only I'm more of a cheap skate. :shush:

I have several of these Plano brand containers.
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23701-0...unting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1420493806&sr=1-31

You can get them just about anywhere, Menards, Lowe's, HD, Walmart, Target, etc. They come in a huge range of sizes an subdivision schemes. The range in price from about $1 to $9 depending on the size you get and where you get it from.

They have a lot of uses, for example tool bit storage.
IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

Thanks for the replies I knew there would be some good ideas. I haven't said this but I've worked in the hardware business for 33 years. I used to bring home everything that was being thrown away for my dad. Our shop looked like Jim's posted above but you could hardly walk though it. I inherited the inventory but between two moves and lack of space I had to get rid of some of it .

I will be working out there every night this week I will show you the progress.

Thanks Ed

Thanks for the replies I knew there would be some good ideas. I haven't said this but I've worked in the hardware business for 33 years. I used to bring home everything that was being thrown away for my dad. Our shop looked like Jim's posted above but you could hardly walk though it. I inherited the inventory but between two moves and lack of space I had to get rid of some of it .

I will be working out there every night this week I will show you the progress.

Thanks Ed

I am an Old Yankee, when I was a kid we never went to the hardware store, we went to the bone yard and pulled what you needed off of something else. It kills me now when I have to go and pay $.15 for a 1" 1/4-20 bolt!

I am an Old Yankee, when I was a kid we never went to the hardware store, we went to the bone yard and pulled what you needed off of something else. It kills me now when I have to go and pay $.15 for a 1" 1/4-20 bolt!

I gave away five lifetime supplies and it still hurts when I have to buy.

Back