Question How do you guys store your nuts bolt and washers ?

Here are my solutions:

The double sided rotating storage, fits nicely in an area that would otherwise collect junk. Attached to the wall with a 2x4, and has a bracket at the top that is the upper ''bearing''. The lower bearing is a piece of 2 inch pipe sitting on the floor with a big washer on top to support the weight. The shaft is a length of 3/4 pipe. The back boards are 3/4 inch partial board, and the bins and brackets are from HF.
View attachment 91498
View attachment 91497

I picked the red ones up at HF, the yellow ones came from a hardware store closeout. I don't think HF sells these any more.
View attachment 91496

The roll around storage bin. It's pretty stable, I just hope I never tip it over.:talktogod: The bins are from HF
View attachment 91495
View attachment 91494

The sliding door storage for hanging stuff. A 1x2 frame faced with peg board. The rail is a 10ft length of Uni-Strut, I found some skate wheel type bearings that would fit in the Uni-Strut. Everything from Home Depot. All of the shelving is 16 inches deep and made from 2x4 and 2x2, and 3/4 inch particle board. It is supported off of the floor, but attached to the wall.

The storage bin boxes are regular cardboard storage bins 12 inches deep that I picked up somewhere. Available from many places. You can get them in plastic also.
View attachment 91499
View attachment 91493

For small parts storage, the multi-drawer storage cabinets are great.
View attachment 91507

Air compressor stand, and small piece metal rack. Aluminium on the top shelf, steel on the bottom. Made from 2x2x0.093 steel tubing with 3/4 plywood shelves.
View attachment 91508

And of course the misc bolt bin.
View attachment 91501

It's obvious that you've been "around the block". Love your collection and storage ideas.

I worked for a Kentucky good 'ol boy who used to say " I keep this sh*t around in case I want to do any work".

I've made some progress on cleanup still trying not to save everything .
I pickup up a couple cabinets from my bosses first divorce sale and never done anything with them.
This one had o rings
279b4ff41d8c072e2ae9023884734bc5.jpg

This one had some items in it the wife is going to take the odd stuff to the Restore . 2745499c5943dbe6d47d2dda14c5f7f9.jpg
This is about half the cans once the bench is clear I will sort them into better assortments.
4ba46ac0a462da1b98903f2419a2a734.jpg

2745499c5943dbe6d47d2dda14c5f7f9.jpg

2745499c5943dbe6d47d2dda14c5f7f9.jpg

Here is my hardware center. White labels standard sizes and red are metric.

Bolt Bin 01.JPG Bolt Bin 02.JPG Bolt Bin Stand 04.JPG

Randy, I like the color code idea. I'll try to remember that one.

There are a lot of good storage ideas on this thread. I expect I'll be borrowing a lot of ideas.

Paul

Randy I have always admired your shop when you post pics. Nice bolt cabinet.

Ed
My shop looks a lot like yours! I always have so much Odd ball crap that I don't want to throw away (like your faucet seats bin)but don't want to store them in valuable space either. My solution was to take them out of those good storage containers and move them to the coffee cans and put them up and out of the way, but labeled and easy to find on the rare occasion they are still needed. My apologies for my example of faucet seats if you still use them a lot.:whistle:

I am an Old Yankee, when I was a kid we never went to the hardware store, we went to the bone yard and pulled what you needed off of something else. It kills me now when I have to go and pay $.15 for a 1" 1/4-20 bolt!

Exactly! I never get rid of anything without removing all the nuts, bolts, springs, and pins!

Now I never have to leave to get parts like that either.

Bernie

Don't have any pictures of it but remember the old glass baby food and small jars. Well the under side of the shelf is covered with lids screwed to it, and jars hand down, Smallest jars in front and larger in back, Can see what you want and get to it, Then the buckets and boxes are stored on top of the shelf. But the trusty old potato chip can full of old bolts, nuts and various other items always seems to be what saves the day. At times the wife has called me cheap for saving it all and not wanting to go buy new stuff, but then it is normally something of hers that is fixed by the old bucket of stuff.

KVT

I remember that baby food jar trick of screwing the lids onto the shelf bottom and the jars hanging from them. Great for small parts.

When I was a kid, my parents were friends with a nice but miserly couple. The husband was a bank executive and he walked to work every day for many years. He was always scanning the sidewalk and gutter for stuff. Every time he found a nail, screw, nut, washer, whatever, he would tuck it in his pocket. Once home, it would go into the appropriate baby food jar under the shelf in his basement.

He used to brag that in so many years, he never had to buy a screw, nut or a washer because of his collection. He was indeed a miser's miser.

My dad used to joke that this man squeezed a nickel so hard, the buffalo cried.

I'm like Brav65, only I'm more of a cheap skate. :shush:

I have several of these Plano brand containers.
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23701-0...unting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1420493806&sr=1-31

You can get them just about anywhere, Menards, Lowe's, HD, Walmart, Target, etc. They come in a huge range of sizes an subdivision schemes. The range in price from about $1 to $9 depending on the size you get and where you get it from.

They have a lot of uses, for example tool bit storage.
View attachment 91518

That's what I do for all my small parts. I put a label on the side like "nuts" "washers" "Dowels" etc. and the stack them on the shelf. I buy mine at Harbor Freight when they are on sale.

Sadly, my organization has gotten totally out of control. I have crap from floor to ceiling. If I need a fastener, it’s easier for me to go to the local hardware store! And I would be walking out of a hardware store (my garage) to go to an organized one to get what I need!

Back