Question How do you guys store your nuts bolt and washers ?

I used Kardex files:
https://www.google.com/search?q=kar...a=X&ei=IRXJVK_WCtP4yQS23YKgCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Rip out the paper and you have a solid set of wide, shallow drawers that makes it easy to find the part you are looking for. Finding them is the hardest part. They are functionally obsolete so either get treated as junk or as a valuable collectors item. They are monstrously heavy so often get left behind when a business closes. Most of the ones I have seen in the past 10 years were in abandoned buildings.

I have been following this thread since it was started because I am TERRIBLE at keeping the shop clean and or organized. Thanks for all the tips and ideas!

Maybe it is just cause I use an iPad but for me the title of the thread reads,

"Re: Question How do you guys store your nuts..." And not one joke about it! You guys are way to politically correct! :makingdecision:

thanks against for the site everyone!

jim

My first bolt storage was coffee cans, 2 gal buckets ect. I would buy any container with bolts at auctions. Also had and bought old machinery that I would strip down for the metal and I would keep all the bolts, nut, washers. Then I moved on to a 3ft by 4ft box with 4" sides were I would just dig through everything til I hopefully found what I needed. This was when I really didn't have much of a shop to even work in.

I finally was able to build a nice shop. I answered an Graig's list ad for a massive pile of bolts. When I finally got them all loaded the back of my truck was rounded. I knew I needed a good way to store all of them so I bought a bunch of the plastic storage bins and built a rack.
SAM_0552.JPG

I picked up this bolt bin a year ago and have it 3/4 of the way full of the most used sizes. When I get low on an item I make a list of what is needed, call it in, and a place that sells bulk will have everything ready. Usually they will just grab a hand full (Scoop) of each item when you ask for a bin restock. (poor picture but you get idea)
SAM_0559.JPG

I also have a bunch of the 19"? metal boxes with trays for button head, flat head, socket head, grease zerks, ect. all mounted in a cabinet with rails. You can see one of them in the picture above left side.

SAM_0552.JPG SAM_0559.JPG

Back