• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Question on Bearing cup pocket size?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK guys I've got a project where I have to mill a hole for a race (bearing cup) and insert a bearing. My question is how much undersize should you mill the pocket to press in the race (cup)

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Without knowing exactly what bearing you have it's hard to give an exact answer. Generally speaking, you do not want a very tight fit at all. I'm assuming a taper bearing of around 1-2 inches or so. Maybe 0.0002 to 0.0004". Anything tighter than that and you risk damaging it or warping it out of shape.

Ray

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
It is just a little under 2" so I'll for .0002"

Thanks

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Whenever I need to bore a hole to fit a bearing I contact the bearing manufacturer by email and ask them for clearances. There are so many different bearings and the fit has a direct impact on internal bearing clearances. The maker will know what you need. Being able to bore to that dimension, which will usually be in the micron range ... is another thing.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
What material are you using?

cg285

Registered
Registered

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
I'll be placing the bearings (2) in aluminum. I'm actually making a rifling machine for my lathe and am using two wheel bearing for a shaft on which a pinion gear lives and interacts with a gear rack.

BtoVin83

Registered
Registered
If using tapered roller bearings you can utilize a fair amount of press fit as the bearing clearance is made up between the bearings, ball bearings the clearances are built in and cannot stand much press. Tapered rollers don't like out of round.

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
I want to thank all that replied. I got just the type of answers I was looking for from the forum, thanks again.

I was born and raised in Bakersfield, but moved to Montana a long time ago.

BtoVin83

Registered
Registered
If you haven't been back to Bako in a while you might not recognize it.

BtoVin83

Registered
Registered
One more thing, with aluminum housings we put a tad more press on the bearings compared to steel as the aluminum can heat faster and expand faster and sometimes the brg can start spinning. Nice thing about tapered brgs they can stand the press and not self destruct.

cg285

Registered
Registered
i always understood it was the grade of tapered bearing that allowed more or less press fit. c3 comes to mind as one with looser tolerances that has a greater press acceptance

[6]
[5] [7]