Questions about Clausing Colchester 13 lathe

Defender92

Registered
Registered
Hey guys. I just won a Clausing Colchester 13” lathe in eBay. I inspected it yesterday and all gears, saddle and bed ways look perfect. It has some broken knobs which I’m not worried about. It’s in a high school auto shop and hasn’t been used in years.

51355DE2-44F8-4674-811E-D2F1A5CDE6D8.jpeg

I inspected it yesterday and the only concern I had was that the lead screw wasn’t spinning. No matter what levers I turned it would not go. Then I realized I could easily spin the lead screw by hand. I was going to give up and not bid but I took a guess it’s a shear pin and not something more major. Although I couldn’t confirm this. Is my assumption likely to be correct???

Also, my plan is to use my 2 ton engine hoist and some lifting slings to set it in a trailer. Possibly 2 engine hoists. Is this a big mistake?? I don’t have other resources at the moment for moving it.

Im also going to make a dolly tonight from angle iron, 2 caster wheels and 2 threaded rods. I saw that on YouTube.

YouTube video with homemade dolly

It DOES look nice, congrats. Should clean up very nicely. I agree, the leadscrew issue is probably just a broken pin. Auto shop, eh?
A student probably ran the carriage into the chuck and sheared the pin- easy fix
-M
ps looks like there may be some oil seepage

Also, my plan is to use my 2 ton engine hoist and some lifting slings to set it in a trailer. Possibly 2 engine hoists. Is this a big mistake?? I don’t have other resources at the moment for moving it.
You might want to reconsider the engine hoist idea. OSHA won't allow you to lift anything with two hoists/cranes for reasons learned with blood. You can't lift a 3,000 lb machine high enough to clear the fenders on a flat bed safely with tandem hoists. Take my advice, I almost killed myself trying to lift a mill like I saw done on youtube. It flipped the trailer right in my shop bay, and took all of a milisecond. Sorry the picture is crappy, my hands were still shaking.

IMAG0755.jpg

You might want to reconsider the engine hoist idea. OSHA won't allow you to lift anything with two hoists/cranes for reasons learned with blood. You can't lift a 3,000 lb machine high enough to clear the fenders on a flat bed safely with tandem hoists. Take my advice, I almost killed myself trying to lift a mill like I saw done on youtube. It flipped the trailer right in my shop bay, and took all of a milisecond. Sorry the picture is crappy, my hands were still shaking.

View attachment 410236
That’s not good. Well I might have to revise my plan then.

My plan was to lift one side with a hoist. Get the trailer under it, lower it (probably having the trailer supported by jack stands), lift the opposite side and then roll it to the appropriate spot in the trailer. With help from the homemade dolly.

So I wasn’t planning on having the whole thing lifted without one half sitting on the ground or trailer.

After searching online I believe the lathe is just over 2000#. But I’m not sure.

Drop deck trailer is the way to go. Looks like a nice lathe. I think you will be very happy with it. How ever you move it go slow and easy. Lathes are top heavy and things can go south quickly.
Thanks guys. I’m moving it tomorrow and I’m scared. I was worried when I moved my Clausing 8520 but this is much scarier

Hey guys. I just won a Clausing Colchester 13” lathe in eBay. I inspected it yesterday and all gears, saddle and bed ways look perfect. It has some broken knobs which I’m not worried about. It’s in a high school auto shop and hasn’t been used in years.

View attachment 410218

I inspected it yesterday and the only concern I had was that the lead screw wasn’t spinning. No matter what levers I turned it would not go. Then I realized I could easily spin the lead screw by hand. I was going to give up and not bid but I took a guess it’s a shear pin and not something more major. Although I couldn’t confirm this. Is my assumption likely to be correct???

Im also going to make a dolly tonight from angle iron, 2 caster wheels and 2 threaded rods. I saw that on YouTube.

YouTube video with homemade dolly
These lathes were very popular with High Schools and technical schools.
Finding one that wasn’t in a production environment is a big plus.
I have this lathes big brother, 15X50.
I love it!
The instant reverse, large spindle through hole, adjustable cross feed nuts to reduce backlash, the D1 spindle lock, the hardened and ground headstock gears and ways…..
I’m a big fan.
If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Joe Pi, on Youtube has your lathe. He loves it.

pipes can be your friend as rollers, if the school as an overhead gantry that would be great.
drop deck trailer for sure.

Add some 2x4 out riggers to the lathe. mount them low to prevent the lathe from tipping over .. put a couple of 2x4s attached to the lathe bed so if it does go over, you don't break levers. use ratchet straps to secure them to the ways. to the cabinet drill and bolt them so that they prevent it from going over. We've all heard about the lathe that fell over... If you haven't search here, or youtube. They are top heavy.

Good luck, and go slow.. if it feels risky, it is.

Back