Questions about Clausing Colchester 13 lathe

If the Colchester is similar to a Harrison, it may have a sleeve that slides to engage the lead screw at the headstock. Or the change gears are not engaged?. Or like you mentioned a broken shear pin.
Nice lathe.
Cheers
Martin

Here’s what I have.
Hope it helps.
You can download the manual from vintage machinery.org = free
It’s also known as a Colchester 8,000 series.
These lathes are made in England.
Clausing was the US distributor.

Attachments

• A1E60405-E5C0-4E80-9CBA-AF0889B0E260.jpeg
    A1E60405-E5C0-4E80-9CBA-AF0889B0E260.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 7DC7FF98-0DE7-428B-9B15-E386A3173C05.jpeg
    7DC7FF98-0DE7-428B-9B15-E386A3173C05.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 10
It won't spin until it's engaged . The Harrisons and Clausings are identical FWIW . The 15" is the dream machine and I'm sure the 13" is just as good . The newer lathes are called Metosa's and are also top of the line . I missed the 15" awhile back but ended up with a 16" Republic . Almost a Clausing . :grin:

These lathes were very popular with High Schools and technical schools.
Finding one that wasn’t in a production environment is a big plus.
I have this lathes big brother, 15X50.
I love it!
The instant reverse, large spindle through hole, adjustable cross feed nuts to reduce backlash, the D1 spindle lock, the hardened and ground headstock gears and ways…..
I’m a big fan.
If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Joe Pi, on Youtube has your lathe. He loves it.
I’m excited about it! All those things you mentioned are what made me decide on this lathe. I’m planning on doing some rifle barrel work on it and the large spindle hole is going to be great.

I was mostly looking at the gears, bed ways and the non working lead screw. But it appeared there was a built in taper attachment?? Was that what I was looking at??

Drop deck trailer or a flat bed wrecker with a good operator. Don’t take a chance with this one, too nice a machine.

The right gear lever that is missing usually selects the leadscrew or feed rod. You can also rent a 2 ton Gantry crane for loading and unloading, otherwise a forklift. If the base is not one piece cast that can take a forklift, then I use a 2T lifting ring through the bed.

The right gear lever that is missing usually selects the leadscrew or feed rod. You can also rent a 2 ton Gantry crane for loading and unloading, otherwise a forklift. If the base is not one piece cast that can take a forklift, then I use a 2T lifting ring through the bed.
This... The lever that is all the way to the right and missing needs to be set on V to engage the lead screw
The lever below and to the left of the speed selector has 3 positions traverse left traverse right or neutral make sure its not in the center.
There is a small sheer pin that couples the leadscrew to the geartrain make sure its present and not broken.
Lastly look under the cover on the end make sure the gears are properly engaged
If none of these are the issue you will likely need to go into the drive mechanism
I am going to send you a PMcase you need some help

You pick up the lathe by the thread hole in the bed. Lock the tail stock to the right and it’s balanced.
You just screw in an eye

Attachments

• 9EABBBFD-6BC8-46F5-AF6B-90F57826D08D.jpeg
    9EABBBFD-6BC8-46F5-AF6B-90F57826D08D.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 9
Back