QUICK BROKEN TAP REMOVAL

Don’t use hydraulics to broach a keyway.
Who said watch out for “flying metal shards” Steve.
Learning the hard way.
Now you tell me? After I been using a 100 ton hydraulic press to broach a keyway in boat propellers and shaft couplings for the last 10 years.

I use a 20 ton press to broach keyways. Fenner does it. Abom does it. Just back off every inch or so to let the broach straighten out.

To reiterate . These guys on the Tube are most likely machinists of 40 years + . For a newbie or starter in trade , this is not the way to learn . Hydraulic presses have no feel . Broaches break . They end up inside your stomach when they do . I've been to the ER with Ronnie Gee and it's not a good thing . We all do things daily that we are comfortable with , with experience . We have to remember our new to the trade members and inform them of the hazards when learning .

Now you tell me? After I been using a 100 ton hydraulic press to broach a keyway in boat propellers and shaft couplings for the last 10 years.
Well, you may be able to do it but I am not qualified to use hydraulics when broaching. :)

To reiterate . These guys on the Tube are most likely machinists of 40 years + . For a newbie or starter in trade , this is not the way to learn . Hydraulic presses have no feel . Broaches break . They end up inside your stomach when they do . I've been to the ER with Ronnie Gee and it's not a good thing . We all do things daily that we are comfortable with experience . We have to remember our new to the trade members and inform them of the hazards when learning .
You said it all right there.

I use a 20 ton press to broach keyways. Fenner does it. Abom does it. Just back off every inch or so to let the broach straighten out.
Backing off and adjusting the broach to keep it vertical is the trick, I would certainly agree.
I’m just a low hours hobby guy.
I bow to your experience sir.

I have used a twelve ton hydraulic press to make key ways for a long time with no problems

Back