Quickest method for finishing mild steel

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
This is directed to the pros here.
How do I finish 1/16” sheet metal steel for a scratch free mirror finish for nickel plating?
Is this just all about handing sanding from 80 grit to 5,550,000 grit, and 3 million hours?
I’ve tried the Scotch-Brite Roloc discs but they only go up to 320 grit and they leave a lot of swirl scratches.
I’ve tried the radial bristle discs but they don’t produce an even finish. Metal always looks wavy.
I tried wet/dry sand paper up to 2500 grit on a sheet sander but that took hours.
How do you pros do it in a timely manner?
All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1C52BC67-899C-459B-A91B-B971F62AF2C0.jpeg
    1C52BC67-899C-459B-A91B-B971F62AF2C0.jpeg
    910.7 KB · Views: 51
You've got a tough row to hoe there. The 'teeth' in your design are going to eat up any of the various Scotch-Brite style pads. I'd suggest tumbling. Barring that, the 3M X-tract discs are excellent, but I don't have enough experience to say that they won't also be eaten up by the abundance of edges in you piece (and you don't mention how well those edges need to be preserved...). A surface grinder comes to mind if you're trying to finish the flats while maintaining the 'comb'.

GsT

You've got a tough row to hoe there. The 'teeth' in your design are going to eat up any of the various Scotch-Brite style pads. I'd suggest tumbling. Barring that, the 3M X-tract discs are excellent, but I don't have enough experience to say that they won't also be eaten up by the abundance of edges in you piece (and you don't mention how well those edges need to be preserved...). A surface grinder comes to mind if you're trying to finish the flats while maintaining the 'comb'.

GsT
Ideally all the edges will end up being smooth. The “comb” needs to be there. I don’t want it misshaped if that’s what you were implying.

Might be a long shot, but could you possibly use a coarse, medium, fine lapping compound on a piece of glass? Then polish it with something. If you can hold it easily that is.

There are places that have machines that do this.

They lap between moving disks with assorted compounds.

Likely chemical options as well.

Your long ours or a few bucks.

Most platers have knowledge of such services.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

How smooth does it have to be for nickel coating? My guess is 400-600 grit.

This link has some good info:

See also:

and

Last edited:
First choice would be to take it somewhere local that has a machine to do this.
The plater may have a good source or even be able to provide the service.

If you need to do it yourself then I would use a DA sander with progressively finer grit paper to around 2000, then switch to a buffing wheel with progressivly finer grit untill you have the level of mirror finish you are after. Nickel plating will not hide anything all scratches will show thru perfectly duplicated. You may need to do a final polish on the nickle.

This guy sanded a bumper from 80 through 400 grit and proceeds from there:

Remember to be careful as you sand around those combs. An orbital or DA sander may result in an uneven finish on the corners of the combs.

Last edited:
I had never done any polishing but wanted to put a mirror finish on a body hammer and on my English Wheel and its anvils. I found a kit for my MultiTool that had progressively fine belts then a special woven polishing belt with different grades of rouge. the pic of the hammers is before and after. Like has been mentioned dealing with those fingers you’d have to make sure you never put the towards rotation, only away.
1675815142123.jpeg1675815162724.jpeg

Attachments

• FF60F017-5C70-49A5-8FD1-BA5BDAEA464A.jpeg
    FF60F017-5C70-49A5-8FD1-BA5BDAEA464A.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 20
Back