Quorn Mk3 - Universal Tool & Cutter Grinder

That helps. Thanks. Looks like a pretty useful tool for my 10" Logan, although my little belt grinder does ok with some care holding by hand.

Nice, i really like how you can buy just the plans/drawings of the entire kit to see if its something within your skill set before pulling the trigger on the full kit only to find you got in too deep and end up shelving the kit only to be forgotten and never used. The nice thing about it is the company will deduct the purchase price for the drawings from the kit price when you decide your ready to build it.

As a data point the plans and drawings came to a little over $92 shipped to Minnesota. About $13 of that was shipping.

I ordered a set of plans.
I have the II kit from an Australian supplier. This was completely unusable as everything was way undersized. The bronze rotating base had the cone leaning at a 15 degree angle. I would like others opinion of the quality of castings from hemingway.

You're not helping me save money, mentioning the exchange rate in step with the release of an improved Quorn. What the Quorn can do that the Deckel can't do (as easily) is make the back cuts on end mill faces and drill bits. Hmmm...

The back cut is what I call the second clearance cut on an end mill or drill. You've got the cutting edge, the first clearance cut, and the back cut. To do correctly (without using "improper" surfaces of the cup wheel) you need to be able to go well past center with the tool head, which the Quorn can do. That's the single biggest shortcoming with the Deckel clone.

It looks like the changes to the Mk3 address many of the construction and use difficulties of the Quorn. FYI, Gary Martin at Martin Model and Pattern sells casting kits for the Quorn, and he also has 5C collet holder castings. All his castings can be ordered individually, in case you mess up a casting or already have a set of 5C collets you want to use. I wonder what the differences in the castings between the Mk2 and Mk3.

My kit arrived!
The construction notes are short, but informative for their length. The user notes is even shorter, but denser. The drawings are A3 sized and are entirely digitally authored.

Here are the included castings. At first glance, I don't think any are specific to the Mk3:
JPB10040.JPG

For those who are curious, it seems the idea for the use of ER chucks on lathe tooling is to hold a square tool blank in a round collet.

Back