• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

Rant time !

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My future partner showed up for his first day of work today . Showed no interest in the job . Knows absolutely zilch about pnuematics , hydraulics , machining , no mechanical aptitude etc . Didn't know what a 1/4-20 bolt was . Fell asleep at 10.30 am and 2.30 pm in the office . Bosses saw this and nothing was said . I'm wondering if he will be invited back for a second day . Had a 12 pack of wrenches with him . Uhhhh ...................he probably is making $25 an hour . After meeting with some of the members on here I believe our company could have made a better choice . I was pretty happy with place but I SURE am not going to pull this guy along on nightshift and keep a plant rolling . Rant over .

markba633csi

Tell your bosses you're concerned he'll get a finger chopped off and then sue the company- they'll can him

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
How do these people get as far in life as they have? While others have to work hard and really apply themselves.

Ken from ontario

He could be suffering from depression ,people like that tend to sleep a lot ,the dream world is easier to handle than the real one.
Dr Ken signing off.

Hukshawn

Titanium
Former Member
I've encountered many people like that in an old factory job I had. I was the shift lead hand and the lead machine operator (not a machine shop but a production shop) I've had more people fired than I can count because they were useless. Mostly temporary workers. I was appalled with the lack of effort put forth by the vast majority of workers. No one cared about making a decent living.
I was more upset with the fact that these people were often brought on to help me. I ran a production line that required 6 people including myself as lead. For 2 years I ran that line with 3, sometimes 4 people because it was just easier to work my ass off and run most of the line myself because it would get done right, and break downs were minimal compared to having someone else "help".
I can ASSURE you, I completely understand what you're going through. Its deflating when you put your heart, blood, sweat, and tears into a facility to have them treat you like crap, abuse your drive, and ultimately throw you under the bus and end your 7 year career there... Even if you did have the highest efficiency and production records (still unbroken, I've been told). I made that facility millions...

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
He's related to someone important. He'll be your boss in a week.

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
My first day when i went to a machine shop i would admit i didnt bring any tools with me. BUT i was fresh out of college and going into a job that was opposite of the career job i applied for. Next day i brought in allen wrenches sockets and basic tools that i thought i would need until i brought in a small tool box to bring a few more things in. Unfortunately it took me a year and half before i got onto a mill mainly bc i didnt know if i was allowed to or if they would train me. Luckily i had an engineering supervisor and a nice co-worker who was higher up that was willing to teach me here and there.

jwmay

Registered
Registered
I feel your pain. One of my coworkers just left, and my job got easier. Lol Is it bad to say I’d have given him the best reference possible in order to move him on down the road?

eugene13

Registered
Registered
Some people make you smile when they show up, some when they leave, in the last two years of my ex-job I had one problem child (59 years old) on my crew. I think the company kept him just to make sure I would retire, 6 months after I was gone they fired him. I hate to see anyone loose their job... but some people... I better quit now.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
How do these people get as far in life as they have? While others have to work hard and really apply themselves.
It isn't always what you know or how hard you work. For some it is just who you know. ;)

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

They move into management.
Ouch!
I'm management.

Wasn't my choice. The company I was working for was bought out. The new owners ran a union shop. The only way for me to get what I needed to support my family was going management. I hate it, but my family obligations severely out way the alternative.

Nogoingback

Sorry. Obviously not all managers are the same. But, where I work some of the folks that make it to management positions are just
incredibly incompetent and they NEVER get rid of them.

Nelson

Site Founder
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
He could be suffering from depression ,people like that tend to sleep a lot ,the dream world is easier to handle than the real one.
Dr Ken signing off.

I suffer from major depression. I come to work every day on time. I don't leave early. I work sometimes when I am sick.
I am on so much medicine most people sleep from it.
Sorry, I don't buy into that excuse. I have worked here over 24 years.
Is it tough some days? Sure. Do I feel like crying, or jumping out of the window? Sure.
I have kids, I press on.

Ken from ontario

I hear you Nelson, of course I can only use my own experience with people near and dear to me.
going to work may actually be an exit or a temporary release from chronic depression to some but there are cases when the person who is suffering , can not hold on to a job or even have a job to begin with because of that disorder.age of the person also makes a huge impact on how to deal with depression.
My suggestion to that person actually was/is to find some type of work. even volunteer work in my opinion might be most helpful.

[6]
[5] [7]