Re-purposing Bench Grinder

taycat

Registered
Registered
now i have my mk1 clarkson tooling and cutter grinder running albeit with basic jigs ( need to get some made) i have a spare 6" bench grinder.
anyone re-purposed one into something else?

I have seen them re-purposed into belt grinders. would work for a 1" x 40", won't have enough power for a 2" x __ .

taycat,

I keep one with a wire brush wheel on one end and a buffing wheel on the other.
The wire brush gets used a lot; cleaning bolt threads, removing rust, etc.

Let us know what you come up with......

-brino

I'd suggest a Scotch-brite wheel. Really fantastic for deburring machined edges, polishing surfaces, etc.

Keep it for rough grinding and or general purpose use. You won't have to worry about messing up your good wheels.

It’s a pain to change out a good dressed grinding wheel for say a onetime wire wheel job. That’s why I have more than one bench grinder. Each grinder has its own dedicated purpose of grinding, buffing, etc…Dave.

Caution: Abrasive wheel can and do shatter. Those little wire break off and fly. I had one let loose I still have a 1" wire embedded under the skin in my belly. Glad I was wearing safety glasses.
Always stand to the side when starting your grinder. Use the guards and wear eye protection.

Daryl
MN

Caution: Abrasive wheel can and do shatter. Those little wire break off and fly. I had one let loose I still have a 1" wire embedded under the skin in my belly. Glad I was wearing safety glasses.
Always stand to the side when starting your grinder. Use the guards and wear eye protection.

Daryl
MN
Damn. I'm sorry to hear about that. And I thought little splinters in the pads of my thumbs were bad.

I have 3 grinders. A little 5" that I put HF diamond wheels on for grinding TIG tungstens and carbide tips, a 6" with coarse and medium stones, and a belt driven 8" with one brass wire wheel and one steel wire wheel. Much easier to change machines than to change wheels for a job. Put them on pedestals so you can move them around and not waste bench space.

GG

Back